Safe Space Coalition
The Safe Space Coalition assesses University safety protocols, campus policies, and response services that deal with sexual assaults, domestic violence, harassment, bullying, mental illness, and health-related matters. It will submit recommendations to the President, monitor implementation, and regularly report out to the broader University community.
Equally important, strategic committees have been formed—to work in parallel with and report into— the Safe Space Coalition.
Safe Space Coalition Conference
Purpose of a Coalition
- A diverse group of individuals and organizations who work together to reach a common goal.
- That goal often includes one or more of the following:
- Adapting, creating, or developing public policy
- Influencing people’s behavior
- Building a healthy community
Core Group & Steering Committee Expectations
The Core group is responsible for the following:
- Developing the coalition’s purpose, mission, goals, objectives to ensure that safety matters and services are addressed appropriately.
- For pooling resources, improving communication, revitalizing DSU’s community to be aware surrounding matters that threaten campus safety.
- Creating policies and procedures that will become annual quality assurance measures.
- Rita Williams
Senior Social Work Major, SGA
- Kirsten Briscoe
Senior Political Science & History Science Major, GIVE Organization
- Samara Benjamin
Senior Psychology Major, GIVE Organization
- Ms. Dionne Williams
Graduate Student Assoc. President
- Mr. Kyle Sheppard
Doctoral Candidate, Education
- Colonel Vaughn Bond
Former New Castle County Police Chief Alumnus / Retired Law Enforcement Professional
- Ms. Tamaira Wilkes
Retired Law Enforcement Professional
- Dr. Gwen Scott-Jones, Coalition Chair
Dean, College, Health & Behavioral Sciences
- Ms. Kim Graham
Director, University Trauma Academy
- Dr. Eleanor Kiesel, Esq.
Associate Dean, College, Health & Behavioral Sciences
- Deputy Chief Joi Simmons
Public Safety / Sexual Assault Awareness Officer / Alumnus
- Chaplain Pam Adams
Director of Spiritual Life & University Chaplain
- Dr. Mark Parisi
Executive Director of Counseling Services
- Mrs. Pamela Gresham, Esq.
Executive Director, Labor Relations & Diversity
- Ms. Mijrane Belizaire, Esq.
Coordinator, Title lX
- Dr. Michelle Fisher
Associate Vice President, Campus Health / Student Counseling
- Dr. Wanda Anderson
Assistant Vice President, Student Affairs
- Dr. Terrell Holmes
Associate Vice President, DSU Downtown & Strategic Initiatives / Alumnus
- Mr. Kyle Adams
Deputy Athletic Director
- Ms. Shenequa Harris
Executive Director, Facilities Management
- Mr. Kimeu Boyton, Esq.
Assistant Dean, College of Humanities, Education, & Social Science
- Counseling & Prevention
- Public Safety
- Employee Awareness & Safety
- Campus Health
- Judicial Affairs & Title IX
- Communications & Customer Service
- Facilities Management
- Project Resources & Funding
- Student Awareness, Engagement, & Safety