Home > About > Administration > General Counsel > Center for Disability Resources > Employees with Disabilities > Employees with Disabilities - FAQs

Employees with Disabilities - FAQs

What constitutes a disability?

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its Amendments (ADAAA), a person with a disability has a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

Under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, major life activities include but are not limited to “functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working.”

I am a University employee and may benefit from having disability-related accommodations in order to experience equal access. What is my first step?

Any faculty or staff member who feels they may benefit from accommodations to ensure equal access is encouraged to follow the accommodation request process listed on the Employees with Disabilities page.  Any questions should be directed to cdr [at] desu.edu.

What accommodations do you offer?

Since every individual, their needs, and their job responsibilities are different accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis.  For an accommodation to be considered reasonable it must be supported by appropriate medical documentation, be able to guarantee the mitigation or lessening of a person’s symptoms, and cannot take away from the employee’s essential job responsibilities.

For examples of possible accommodations please visit the Job Accommodations Network page.

Who would have access to my medical documentation and private information?

The Center for Disability Resources will never share your private or confidential information (e.g. medical documentation, diagnosis information, symptomology).  This information is stored within the CDR with exception only to a verifiable need to know.

What if I desire revisions to my Accommodation Letter?

Revisions to your accommodation letter can be requested at any time and are done by arranging a meeting with Dr. Knettler.  Please note that it is the responsibility of the employee to request the revision.

What if I am concerned that an approved accommodation is not being provided appropriately?

If you are dissatisfied with how an accommodation is being provided, please contact the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) immediately.  The CDR will investigate and act accordingly.

I am experiencing a temporary, non-work-related injury or impairment and feel I would benefit from temporary adjustments. What should I do?

The Center for Disability Resources (CDR) can provide temporary adjustments to assist you during this time. Please follow our registration process accordingly. Please note that temporary adjustments are suggestions and are not legally mandated under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Is there a deadline to request accommodations?

No.  However, accommodations are not retroactive and are only in effect from the date they are approved by the CDR and a copy of the Accommodation Letter provided to the appropriate facilitating party.