Delivering the Accommodation Letter
Any student who has received an Accommodation Letter from the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) is responsible for providing a current copy of that Letter to any Faculty or Administrator who is involved in facilitating the accommodations listed in the Letter. Accommodations are not in place until the Faculty or Administrator has received a current copy of the Accommodation Letter. In addition, accommodations are not retroactive. Therefore, students are encouraged to deliver copies of their Accommodation Letter as early as possible.
Please Note: Students are never required to disclose their diagnosis or impact/symptoms with anyone other than the CDR. The purpose of providing a copy of the Letter is simply to inform someone of the accommodations that will be used – not about why a student may have accommodations.
Delivering the Accommodation Letter via Email: (recommended)
- Create a new email for each of your professors (or any other administrator that may be facilitating an accommodation).
- Professors’ email addresses can be found within the syllabus and on their Department’s website.
- Academic Advisors’ email addresses can be found on the Office of Student Success website.
- Add the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) email in the “CC” line of the email. · cdr [at] desu.edu
- Attach a copy of your Accommodation Letter to each email.
- copy of the Letter is emailed to the student from the CDRE in PDF format.
- In the body of the email
- Introduce yourself.
- Indicate which class of theirs you are enrolled in (e.g. Introduction to Biology on MWF from 9-9:50am) or how you usually work together (e.g. Academic Advisor).
- Explain that you are registered with the CDR and have attached a copy of your current Accommodation Letter to the email. (Letter should be for the same semester in which you are using accommodations.)
- List the accommodations from your Accommodation Letter that you plan to use in their class.
- Ask the professor how they would like these accommodations to be facilitated. f. Encourage the professor to contact the CDR at cdr [at] desu.edu if they have any questions.
- Send the email!
- It is essential that students provide a copy of their Accommodation Letter, following the above instructions, within a reasonable amount of time before they need to use an accommodation.