CTL Services & Resources
The Center for Teaching and Learning offers services and resources to faculty who endeavor to excel in their teaching:
CTL offers limited financial support for faculty members who want to attend a professional conference related to teaching, learning, assessment (including technology), and/or curriculum development within their content area. This assistance is only limited to travel within the United States. Funds are limited and are available on a first come-first serve basis.
- International travel is not eligible for funding;
- Rental cars are not eligible for funding;
- CTL per diem rate differs from the university allowance of the GSA per diem rates;
- Applicants must have a current M&T Travel card issued by Delaware State University;
- Recipients are required to submit a Title III Travel Summary form within 5 business days after their return;
- Recipients are required to submit an M&T Expense report for their approved travel expenditures with receipts attached within 5 business days after their return.
Please see below for additional information on CTL’s Travel Support program:
WORKSHOPS & TRAINING
CTL offers a variety of professional development opportunities for university faculty, adjuncts, teaching assistants, and specific staff members through workshops and trainings. Upcoming events are posted here and in CTL’s blog. If you are interested in facilitating a workshop for the CTL or if you have a workshop suggestion, please contact us at CTL [at] desu.edu.
ACUE Effective Teaching Practices Course
In the spring of 2018, Delaware State University partnered with the Association of College and University Educators (ACUE) to launch an online course in Effective Teaching Practices. The five units of the course address:
- Designing an Effective Course and Class
- Establishing a Productive Learning Environment
- Using Active Learning Techniques
- Promoting Higher Order Thinking
- Assessing to Inform Instruction and Promote Learning
DSU participants receive a certificate in Effective Teaching Practices endorsed by the American Council of Education (ACE) and a one-time stipend of $750.00 upon completion of the program. For additional information about ACUEs Effective Teaching Practices course, please go to http://acue.org/course/. If you are interested in participating in an upcoming cohort, please contact one of our course facilitators, Ms. Amber Ward award [at] desu.edu or Dr. Alexa Silver acawley [at] desu.edu.
CTL is an advocate for instructors wishing to hone their craft by pursuing new and innovating techniques within their classrooms. Mini-grants, which are limited to $2000.00 per award, are open to full-time teaching faculty at DSU and are awarded (three per year) to those who seek to acquire new strategies that support student engagement and success. Please find the current mini-grant application here.
TUITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
CTL offers tuition reimbursement to full-time DSU faculty pursuing an advance degree to specialty certification. Please refer to the guidelines below:
STUDENT COURSE EVALUATIONS
Student course evaluations are a source of useful feedback for instructors when it comes to teaching techniques, course content, and course design. CTL distributes online course evaluations using BLUE on a semester basis, including winter and summer sessions. Emails are sent to all enrolled students during the fall and spring semesters, providing a link for students to complete their evaluations. Instructors will receive an email at the close of these evaluations directing them to view and download their course reports (login credentials are required).
Login: DESU email handle (without the @desu.edu)
Password: the same as your DESU email account
Please note that the CTL also has archived evaluations from 2006-Spring 2016. If you would like to request a copy of your evaluations results from these years, please send an email to CTLCourseEvals [at] desu.edu specifying the semester, year, course number, and CRN. Please allow 5-7 days to process your request.
If you require additional assistance, please send an email to CTLCourseEvals [at] desu.edu.
- ADCS Login Instructions
- 20 Minute Mentors
- DSU Blackboard video
- Effective Strategies for Improving College Teaching & Learning
- Philosophy of Teaching Statements
- New Chairs and Deans: How to Succeed as an Academic Leader
- Blended and Flipped: Exploring New Models of Effective Teaching and Learning
- Assessment of Student Learning
- The Active Learning Handbook: Engagement Techniques that Work
- Textbook Heroes: How Digital Textbooks Make Learning More Impactful
- Work-Life Balance: A Handbook for Professors