Study Hall required hours are driven by academic performance or lack thereof. Coaches can mandate a set number of hours a student-athlete must be in study hall. Additionally, freshman and new transfer student-athlete required hours may be different than continuing student-athletes who are required to participate in study hall.
Study Hall – Rules and Guidelines
Hours of Operation: Three Categories
For Freshmen and New Transfer student-athletes
- Sundays – 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Monday – Thursday – 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
- Fridays – 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
For student-athletes on Academic Probation
Academic Probation Student-Athletes – “ these students are strongly recommended to complete hours during the work day while full-time staff are present and with a planned time management grid.”
Study hall hours are reported for the week beginning on Sunday and ending on Friday. Coaches will receive an official copy of the study hall report on Friday afternoons.
Student-athletes are required to sign-in and sign-out to receive credit for study hall. FAILURE to sign-in or sign-out will result in “0” credits for study hall (NO EXCEPTIONS)
Required study hours are excused when a team is on the road traveling; however, it is STRONGLY encouraged for each team to set up study hall for those required to complete hours. Coaches need to structure organized study sessions while on the road unless provisions are made (hotel room and travel) for ASSA advisor to set up study sessions.
Study Hall Requirements
Incoming First Year Student-Athletes (fall/spring) 8 hours per week
Upper-class students (returning and transfer are driven by cumulative grade point average:
8 hours required – Freshman/New Transfers
|3.00 - and above GPA||0 hours*|
|2.81 - 2.99 GPA||4 hours of Study Hall*||cannot be exempt|
|2.65 - 2.80 GPA||6 hours of Study Hall*||cannot be exempt|
|2.49 - 2.64 GPA||8 hours of Study Hall*||cannot be exempt|
|Below 2.39 GPA||10 hours of Study Hall*||cannot be exempt|
*Additional hours can be required at the discretion of the team’s academic advisor & head/position coach.
Rules for Study Hall
Please note: Violations of the listed rules will result in “0” credit for the session.
- Arriving late for your assigned study hall (if an arrival time is required per your advisor/coach)
- Arriving unprepared, i.e.: without books, notebooks, or other materials needed to be prepared for your classes is unacceptable.
- No loud talking, yelling, PROFANITY or horseplay will not be tolerated.
- No browsing facebook, or the internet not particularly related to your class assignment.
- Headphones/ear buds may be used. The music level must be kept to a minimum so as not to disrupt fellow students. The use of the headphone during study hall is considered a privilege and should not be taken lightly; students in violation will be immediately dismissed.
- Usage of cell phones, facetime is strictly prohibited during study hall.
- No hats, hoodies, dew rags, stocking caps, etc… will be worn inside of the library.
- No missed tutor, mentor, advisor, or counseling appointments; if you have an appointment, you MUST attend.
- No sleeping at any time!