Employees with Disabilities
Delaware State University and the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) value all aspects of diversity and want to ensure that any University employee with a disability receives equal and equitable access to employment, programs, goods, and services. To that end, we work proactively with employees with disabilities and other University Stakeholders to gather information and determine reasonable accommodations.
Accommodation Request Process – University Employees
- Complete and submit the online Employee Request for Accommodations Form
- Submit medical documentation that meets our Documentation Requirements
- Documentation can be uploaded with the Employee Request for Accommodations Form, emailed to aksmith [at] desu.edu, faxed to 302.857.7202, or mailed/dropped off to the Center for Disability Resources, William C. Jason Library, Room 204, 1200 N. DuPont Hwy., Dover, DE 19901.
- Any medical documentation, diagnosis information, and/or symptoms information is housed securely in the CDR, is not included in any University employee file, and is not shared without the expressed written consent of the employee. The only exception being a verifiable need-to-know.
- Engage in the interactive process.
- As soon as appropriate medical documentation and the Employee Request for Accommodations Form are received, a confirmation email will be sent to the employee in order to schedule a meeting with the Director of the Center for Disability Resources.
- During the meeting, the Director will engage the employee in a collaborative conversation about their experience in a working environment, barriers to access they feel they encounter, and any accommodations being requested.
- Accommodation Determination
- The Director of the CDR will review all documentation and information from the interactive process and make a determination of reasonable accommodations. If additional information is needed regarding an employee’s essential job responsibilities and the facilitation of those responsibilities, the Director will reach out to University Stakeholders on an as needed basis. No private or confidential medical information is ever shared during this process.
- Accommodation Letter Delivery
- If/when accommodations have been approved, the Director of the CDR will issue an Accommodation Letter to the employee with copy to their Supervisor and any other party responsible for facilitating an accommodation.
- Accommodation Letter Renewal
- The Accommodation Letter is valid for 1 (one) calendar year (January 1st through December 31st) and must be renewed by the employee through the CDR at the start each new year.
- To renew an Accommodation Letter the employee should contact the Director of the CDR via email at aksmith [at] desu.edu. When requesting to renew the same accommodations no additional medical documentation or appointment is needed and the Letter will be sent via email.
It is the expectation of Delaware State University and the Center for Disability Resources that the employee maintains contact with the Center and remains actively involved in the accommodation process. Any questions or concerns regarding accommodations should be communicated to the Director as soon as possible and additional appointments made, if appropriate.