The Assessment Office oversees a holistic assessment process at the institution. This Office works collaboratively with units to ensure that they are implementing efficient and sustainable assessment plans. This includes verifying that units are collecting data that are used to improve programs/services and enhance student learning. This Office works closely with the Information Technology and Institutional Research units to facilitate data collection and reporting. Furthermore, this Office contributes to the assessment of strategic initiatives and supports efforts to attain and maintain various accreditations. The Assessment Office serves as the primary source for assessment resources, workshops, training, and recent directives from accrediting bodies. Lastly, this Office assists units with the analysis and reporting of assessment data for the purpose of demonstrating that the institutional mission of preparing students to “become competent, productive, and contributing citizens” is being carried out.
Undergraduate Student Learning Goals
Delaware State University provides a wide range of experiences designed to prepare our graduates to be:
- competent communicators;
- effective inquirers, critical thinkers, and problem-solvers able to use appropriate quantitative and qualitative information;
- ethical, collaborative, and productive citizens of a complex, diverse world;
- independent learners able to integrate knowledge and technology to achieve personal and professional success.
Program Learning Goals are aligned with these Learning Goals. Course Learning Goals are aligned with the Program Learning Goals.
Assessment Data Collection System (ADCS) Reports
The Assessment Data Collection System (ADCS) is a homegrown custom application developed by IT representatives to facilitate student learning assessment data collection and reporting for general education rubrics. In most academic programs, these rubrics are also utilized to collect/report on student learning data for core courses in the major. Since its inception in spring 2010, this tool has allowed the Assessment Office, General Education committee, Department Chairs, and instructors to collaborate for an efficient university level assessment process that also drills down to the course and student level.
Assessment Plans (Academic Affairs depts. and programs)
Academic Affairs Annual Reports
Executive Summaries and Unit Initiatives for Department/Unit Annual Reports by Year
- Mapping of undergraduate program student learning outcomes to university student learning goals
- Mapping of graduate program student learning outcomes to university student learning goals
- Mapping of program student learning outcomes to course learning outcomes
- Spring 2022 (In Progress)
National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE)
NSSE is administered every 3 years to First-Year (FY) and Senior Year (SY) students.
NSSE schools FY 25%
NSSE schools SY 23%
NSSE schools FY 23%
NSSE schools SY 24%
NSSE schools FY 22%
NSSE schools SY 26%
Anthology Resources (formerly called Campus Labs)
Requesting a project in Baseline - Get assistance from their support representatives, who will create a survey for you when you follow the instructions and submit a Word document of the survey items.
- North Carolina State University library of links
- Northern Illinois University resources
- Society for College and University Planning
- Texas A&M University resources
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AACU)
- Association for Assessment of Learning in Higher Education
- Howard University library of assessment links
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes (NILOA) – An excellent resource for reports about Student Learning Outcomes assessment
- Assessment Related publications:
- Middle States Publications available as PDF downloads for printing or for purchase.
- Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education is a quarterly journal on assessment issues/methods. This journal is available from DSU library full text electronic journals (via Ebscohost)
- Assessment Update is available from DSU library full text electronic journals (via Ebscohost). This is a bimonthly newsletter.
- Practical Assessment, Research, and Evaluation is a free-access online journal. Search for articles by title, author, descriptor, and keyword.
- Research & Practice in Assessment is a free-access online journal from the Virginia Assessment Group.
- Quality Approaches in Higher Education is a free-access online journal from ASQ (American Society for Quality) that includes articles on assessing student learning outcomes.
- International Journal of ePortfolio (IJeP) is a free-access online journal containing articles about the use of e-portfolios in assessment.