Our Honors Program Empowers Exceptional Students
We want you to strive to be your best. For this reason, we have designed our Honors Program to challenge students with exceptional intellectual ability, motivation and commitment by offering new levels of academic excellence in scholarship and creativity. An integral component of our Living-Learning Communities, DSU’s Honors Program is a tight-knit community of talented individuals who engage in traditional and interactive classroom environments. This standup program imparts the necessary knowledge and experiences you need to stand out with employers — along with graduate and professional schools.
Goals of the Honors Program:
- Academic Excellence-To create and provide enriched educational opportunities for academically talented and motivated students for intellectual growth and scholarly achievement.
- Professional Development-To provide students with the preparation and guidance to develop and expedite their career plan beyond college. This will include graduate and professional school preparation; development of the auxiliary skills needed for entry into the workforce; the development of problem-solving and decision-making skills; oral and written communication and engagement in research and experiential learning.
- Leadership Development- To promote the development of leadership skills in and outside of the classroom and the university community.
- Global and Moral Citizenship-To enhance the learning experience with information and opportunities that encourage students to apply their education and skills to serves others in the local and global community.
To apply to the Delaware State University Honors Program, you must complete the main online application, and complete the Honors Program requirements described here, in full, and submit to the Honors Program address below.
- Incoming First-Year Students: April 30
- Transfer and Continuing Students: Prior to 2nd semester sophomore year
- Note: Application for Honors Housing: May 1
Admission into the Honors Program requires:
- Regular admission to Delaware State University without conditions;
- A GPA of 3.25 or higher;
- An SAT combined score of at least 1050 in Mathematics and Critical Reading, with at least 450 in each section; OR an ACT composite score of at least 22 in Mathematics and Critical Reading; (if your SAT scores are not available, please submit an additional letter of recommendation from a high school administrator (principal or guidance counselor) or a college administrator).
- Approval of the DSU Honors Program.
Application materials required:
- Completion of the main online application.
- Official high school and/or college transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation from two (2) high school or college instructors. (Recommendation Form)
- A typed essay of 400 – 600 words, explaining why you wish to be admitted into the Honors Program.
- A list of academic and extracurricular achievements/awards.
Mail or email application materials to: honors [at] desu.edu (subject: honors%20application)
DSU Honors Program
Delaware State University
William C. Jason Library, Room 228
1200 N. DuPont Highway
Dover, Delaware 19901