Types and Sources
There are a variety of sources and types of financial aid available to assist students with their educational expenses. Eligibility for the different types of financial aid may be based on financial need, field of study, and/or academics.
To apply for financial aid offered by our office, every year students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1 for the upcoming academic year. The 2022-2023 FAFSA filing deadline for priority consideration was December 1, 2021.
- Federal (assistance provided through the U.S. Department of Education)
- State (assistance provided through the student’s state of residence)
- Institutional (assistance provided through Delaware State University)
- Private (assistance provided through private agencies)
- Scholarships and Awards (financial aid that does not require repayment)
- Grants (financial aid that does not require repayment)
- Loans (financial aid that must be repaid, usually with interest)
- Employment (Work-Study and part-time hourly)