CDR Student FAQs

  • What constitutes a disability?
    According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its Amendments (ADAAA), a person with a disability has a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

    Under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, major life activities include but are not limited to “functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working.”

  • How soon can I register with the Center for Disability Resources (CDR)?
    For incoming DSU students: You can register with the CDR as soon as you have been offered admission to Delaware State University and have officially accepted the University’s offer to attend. As soon as this happens, you are encouraged to provide appropriate documentation along with your completed Student Request for Accommodations Form to the CDR and schedule an appointment.

    For current DSU students: You can register with the CDR as long as you are enrolled in classes or are returning to classes and have already registered for an upcoming semester. As soon as this happens, you are encouraged to provide appropriate documentation along with your completed Student Request for Accommodations Form to the CDR and schedule an appointment with the Coordinator.

  • Do the accommodations I received in high school (IEP or 504 Plan) automatically apply at Delaware State University?
    Once a student with a disability is in college they are covered under the American’s with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA) as opposed to the IDEA. In addition, the learning environment is different at every college or university. For these reasons, any accommodations listed on a student’s IEP or 504 Plan do not automatically carry over to higher education. However, under the ADA, students absolutely have the right to submit appropriate medical documentation and request reasonable accommodations from the Center for Disability Resources while attending DSU.
  • I never had accommodations in high school; does that mean I cannot get them in college?
    Not at all! Any student with a documented disability who feels they would benefit from reasonable accommodations is encouraged to register with the CDR. Not having accommodations in elementary, middle, or high school will not prevent a qualified person from receiving accommodations here at DSU.
  • Do I need to be a full-time student to request accommodations?
    No! The Center for Disability Resources (CDR) can assist any qualified student in requesting additional accommodations regardless of enrollment status.
  • Will my registration status with the Center for Disability Resources be shared on my academic transcripts or diploma?
    No! Your registration with the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) is confidential within our office and does not appear on other academic records. All students that receive accommodations with the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) earn the same degree as all other graduates of Delaware State University.
  • Am I able to receive accommodations in my online courses?
    Absolutely! Your approved accommodations can still be provided in your online courses. Please reach out to your professors to discuss how they will be implemented. Our office is available to support any student and/or instructor to address specific questions or concerns.
  • What ways can I submit medical documentation to the Center for Disability Resources (CDR)?
    Documentation can be submitted through the Student Request for Accommodations Form or via email at cdr [at]
  • How do my professors find out about my accommodations?
    Any student at DSU who is approved for reasonable accommodations will be emailed an Accommodation Letter. The letter does not contain any private or confidential information; instead, it simply lists the student’s name and the specific accommodations they qualify for. It is the student’s responsibility to provide (via email or in-person) a copy of this letter to each of their professors and anyone else who will be providing an approved accommodation. When providing the letter, the student should explain which accommodations they plan to use in the class. The letters are renewed each semester to ensure that students receive the most appropriate accommodations.
  • When should I contact the Center for Disability Resources?
    Anytime! Students should contact Center for Disability Resources to:
    • Request accommodations
    • Ask questions about how to use their accommodations
    • Renew Accommodation Letters (can be done online as well)
    • Notify the office if they feel an accommodation is not being provided appropriately
    • Identify a barrier they feel is preventing them from equal access
    • Ask questions about additional resources they may benefit from
    • Or to just say “hi!”
  • Does the CDR provide testing for Learning Disabilities and/or ADHD?
    The Center for Disability Resources has the role of reviewing medical documentation and determining reasonable accommodations. Therefore, the CDR does not provide disability testing. Students interested in being tested for a Learning Disability or ADD/ADHD are encouraged to contact a local mental health provider to schedule an assessment. A courtesy, non-exhaustive list of local providers is available upon request from the CDR. Students are also encouraged to contact their insurance company to inquire about coverage for LD/ADHD assessment.
  • Is there tutoring and/or counseling at Delaware State University?
    Yes! DSU offers several exceptional resources for tutoring and counseling that are all FREE OF CHARGE for all students – no accommodation required. Free 24/7 online tutoring in all subjects is also available through and can be accessed through Blackboard. In addition, DSU has a Counseling Center that offers one-on-one and group counseling to all full-time DSU students.
  • I have accommodations through the CDR but things have changed and I think I may benefit from new or different accommodations – can I still request them?
    Absolutely! Any student who already has accommodations is always welcome to schedule an appointment with the CDR to discuss any changes to their condition or other factors that are currently impacting them.
  • I forgot to turn my Accommodation Letter in to my professor, if I turn it in now will my accommodations effect work from the beginning of the semester?
    Accommodations are only in effect from the moment you provide your Accommodation Letter to your Professor or Administrator; they do not work retroactively. If you have forgotten to turn in your Accommodation Letter, you are encouraged to turn it in as soon as possible so that you can begin using your accommodations from that moment forward.
  • I don’t think my accommodations are being provided appropriately, what should I do?
    If a student believes that a specific accommodation, listed on their Accommodation Letter as approved by the Center for Disability Resources (CDR), has not been provided appropriately, the following process should be followed:
    • The student should notify the Center for Disability Resources immediately and request an appointment.
    • The CDR will investigate the student’s concerns.
    • The CDR will report back to the student with their findings within a reasonable amount of time. The CDR can be reached via email at cdr [at] , by phone at 302.857.7042, or in the CDR Office located in the Library, Room 204.
  • The CDR made a decision about my accommodations that I disagree with, can I appeal?
    If the student disagrees with the findings of the CDR Student Accommodations Coordinator, they should follow the Student Appeals Process found on the CDR website. This process includes submitting a Letter of Appeal to the Director of the CDR and provide any additional information they feel is relevant. The Director will then perform a separate investigation and report to the student within a reasonable amount of time. In the event that the Director of the CDR made the original accommodation decision, the appeal would be sent to the University’s General Counsel and Chief Enterprise Risk Officer or their designee.
  • I just experienced an injury or am recovering from a medical procedure. Where can I go for support?
    The Center for Disability Resources (CDR) can provide temporary adjustments to assist you during this time. Please follow our registration process accordingly. Please note that temporary adjustments are suggestions and are not legally mandated under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).