Congratulations Class of 2017!
After many years of hard work, it is time for graduation! As we plan for your graduation, we will post information here.
DSU 2017 Commencement Committee
War of the Wedges
Open to all DSU May graduates (Both women and men are eligible to participate.)
A photographer will be on site taking photographs of random shoes worn by the graduating class at the ceremony.
- Voting for the War of the Wedges will start at 1 p.m. on Monday, May 15.
- Follow DSU on Instagram @DelStateUniv.
- After the photos are uploaded Monday, May 15, ask your family and friends to check out the DSU Instagram page and vote for their favorite pair of shoes by liking the picture.
- You, your family and friends can like the picture until Saturday, May 20, at noon. The shoes with the most likes (votes) will be the winner.
- The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of the War of the Wedges — Commencement Shoe Contest will be announced Monday, May 22, at noon on the DSU Instagram page (@DelStateUniv).
- If you are a winner, send your name and mailing address to bfarmer [at] desu [dot] edu to receive your fabulous prize!
Commencement Day Information
Lisa Blunt Rochester
United States Congresswoman
Please refer to the SEVERE WEATHER PLAN.
PARKING FOR STUDENTS, FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Gate 1 and Gate 2 will be open for the general public.
There will be plenty of parking on campus available on Saturday, May 13, 2017. Prospective graduates as well as their family and friends can park in any parking lot with the exception of reserved spaces and fire lanes. However, a section of Parking Lot 1 (near the main gate) will be designated for VIP and handicapped Commencement parking. Please do not park at area businesses during Commencement. Your vehicle will be subject to ticketing and/or towing. Fines and fees will apply.
Handicapped spaces will continue to be reserved for only handicapped designated cars. Handicapped parking and the wheelchair drop-off points for Commencement parking will be located in Parking Lot 1 and campus-wide.
Parking on the grass anywhere on campus is prohibited. See campus map.
Tickets are not required for Memorial Hall Gymnasium. An overflow room for the viewing of Commencement will be set up in the 2nd floor parlors of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Center. Printed programs will also be available in the parlors. Additional sites for viewing Commencement will be available in the Theater, Education & Humanities Building.
SPECIAL COMMENCEMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Instructions for the Platform Party, all DSU Staff and all Graduates:
- Absolutely no texting, cellular phone usage or wireless device usage will be allowed in Memorial Hall Gymnasium during the Commencement ceremony.
- Absolutely no disruption of any kind will be allowed in Memorial Hall Gymnasium during the Commencement ceremony. Any individual causing a disruption will be escorted from Memorial Hall Gymnasium by a police officer.
- Glass, thermal, or metal containers
- Laser pointers
- Mace/Pepper spray
- No cutting instruments
- Selfie sticks
- Toy Guns
- Weapons of any kind
- Any other item determined to be a potential hazard (oversized belt buckles)
Surrendered items will not be returned or available for pick-up.
Other ways to watch
For family and friends who will not be present at the Commencement ceremony, DSU will broadcast the ceremony live on YouTube. On campus, an overflow room for the viewing of Commencement will be set up in the 2nd floor parlors of the Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center and in the Education & Humanities Theater.
Severe Weather Plan
THE SEVERE WEATHER PLAN IS IN EFFECT FOR MAY 2017 COMMENCEMENT. Please click here for more details.