Citizenship and Financial Aid Eligibility

Students must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen to meet eligibility requirements for federal student financial aid. Students may be asked to document citizenship status if it cannot be confirmed by the Social Security Administration after completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If asked to document your status, you can submit one of the following acceptable documents to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OFA). 

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you are unable to present citizenship documents in person to the OSFA, you can submit an affidavit with an attached government issued photo ID via mail (fax/email will not be accepted).

Students who are not a U.S. citizen, but are an eligible noncitizen, must correct question 14 on the FAFSA to indicate they are an eligible noncitizen. Students must also provide their Alien Registration Number on question 15 of the FAFSA. To make corrections to the FAFSA, visit

If the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) cannot confirm that your noncitizenship status meets the eligibility requirements for federal student financial aid, you must submit one of the following acceptable documents to the OFA.

  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (CBP Form I-94) or the Departure Record (Form I-94 or I-94A)
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV)
  • I-797 Approval Notice from USCIS