Home > Student Life > Judicial Affairs

Judicial Affairs

The Judicial system promotes concepts of civility, fairness, respect and conflict resolution by enforcing community standards. Students are held accountable for their behavior in a fair yet developmental manner. The judicial process protects the rights of both individual students and the University community by ensuring that claims of student misconduct are handled equitably and uniformly. To find out more, visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).  

I have been written up for an infraction, what happens next?

The Office of Judicial Affairs will ”email a notice to appear” with the time and date of your Prehearing Meeting to your DSU email account.

Do I have to be informed that I am being written up before actually being written up?

Yes, if the student is not informed at the time of the alleged violation that they are being written up, then the rights of the student have been violated.

What is a Prehearing Meeting and why do I have to have one?

A Prehearing Meeting gives the student the opportunity to accept or not accept responsibility for the alleged violation. If the student does accept responsibility the student will explain the situation to the Director of Judicial Affairs or said hearing officer. A sanction will then be given at that time. If the student does not accept responsibility the case then moves forward to a scheduled Formal Hearing.

Why should I accept a sanction if I am not responsible?

Students charged with an alleged violation of the Student Code of Conduct have the right to a Formal Hearing before a Judicial Council.

What is a Formal Hearing?

A Formal Hearing allows the student to question witnesses, present evidence and/or witnesses and/or to tell their side of the story. Please see the Rights of the Student in the Judicial System and the judicial section of the Student Handbook for additional information.

Do I need an attorney?

You may have an advisor assist you in the hearing. Attorneys are not allowed to serve as advisors. Your advisors may not speak or question witnesses. The advisor must be another student, staff member or faculty member.

Will my parents be notified?

If you are under the age of 21 and have been found responsible for an alcohol or drug violation, your parents will be notified. For other types of violations or for students over the age of 21 a signed release of information form is required before we can speak to parents about Judicial cases.

May my parents or other relatives attend the hearing?

All hearings are closed and parents and other relatives may not attend.

May I have character witnesses?

Character witnesses may come in to testify about your character. They may be anyone of your choosing, even parents. The character witness will come in to give testimony and then leave the hearing room.

Will I have an opportunity to question witnesses?

You will be able to question witnesses in accordance with the rules. Your questions should be for information purposes only and relevant to the charges. Questions should not be made in a badgering or unduly repetitious manner.

Where can I go for additional assistance with my case?

You may contact the Office of Judicial Affairs for an appointment by calling 302.857.6470.