- Are there tickets for Commencement?
Students participating in the Commencement ceremony will receive guest tickets electronically. Tickets are free and are required for both the Undergraduate and Graduate Commencement ceremonies for everyone attending, including children. Students will be notified close to the commencement date regarding the number of Guest Tickets that they will receive. Remember that anyone can watch the Commencement ceremony on their mobile device or computer with live streaming. The link will be located on Delaware State University’s website. If you have questions, please email hornetcommencement [at] desu.edu (email@example.com)
Will there be an alternative viewing site at Commencement?
Yes. The Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Center and EH Theater are where Commencement will be broadcast live on screens as alternative viewing sites.Guest tickets are required.
- How long is the ceremony?
Approximately 2-3 hours
- What are the qualifications for walking at Commencement?
Please see Graduation Requirements.
- Can I still walk at Commencement if I still have to take one or two fall, spring or summer classes?
- Can I decorate my cap (mortarboard)?
Yes, however, what adorns your mortarboard must be tasteful, not offensive, or include any derogatory images or words
When do I have to arrive on campus for Commencement?
- Undergraduate Commencement - Undergraduates LINE UP FOR COMMENCEMENT at 6:30 a.m. Undergraduates should line up on the Outdoor basketball courts (between the MLK Student Center and Wellness and Recreation Center)
- Graduate Commencement - Graduate should arrive on campus by 9:30 a.m. and report to Line up on the sidewalk in front of Delaware Hall
- When can my family/friends come to Commencement to get a seat?
Two hours prior to the start of the Commencement ceremony
- What activities are there for graduating seniors?
Please check the DSU Commencement website under “Dates to Remember”
- Where can I get my cap and gown from?
Cap and gown (regalia) should be ordered BEFORE March 15, 2023, online at http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/_dsu/. The estimated delivery time is 4-6 weeks to your home address. The estimated delivery time is 4-6 weeks to your home address for pre-ordered regalia.
- If I am in a Fraternity or Sorority, where can I get my Greek sash from?
Online when ordering regalia.
- Is Commencement going to be filmed?
Yes, however, it will not be for sale. Please feel free to ask your family/friends to capture the ceremony. The ceremony will be streamed live at www.desu.edu
- Where do I get my invitations for Commencement from?
Please order online at http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/_dsu/. Click on “Graduation” then click “Announcements”. The DSU Copy Center also sells announcements at a low cost.
- Where do I get my honor cords from?
Honors cords will be distributed by the Office of Records and Registration.
- What are the Commencement fees for?
Cap/gown, administrative fees and activities
- What are the parking options for students, family, and friends?
There will be plenty of parking on campus available. Prospective graduates as well as their family and friends, can park in any parking lot with the exception of reserved spaces and fire lanes.
Please do not park at area businesses during Commencement. Your vehicle will be subject to ticketing and/or towing. Fines and fees will apply. Handicapped spaces will continue to be reserved for only handicapped designated cars. Handicapped parking and the wheelchair drop-off points for Commencement parking will be near Alumni Stadium and other locations. Special needs and handicapped seating will also be designated at both ceremonies. Parking on the grass anywhere on campus is prohibited. See Campus Map.
- How are Latin honors determined?
Latin honors are based on the previous semester’s cumulative GPA.
- Can I walk in May even though I finished in December?
Can I make arrangements to stay in my dorm until after commencement?
To make arrangements to stay in the dorms you must send an email to: housing [at] desu.edu (.)
What if I am unable to attend the commencement rehearsal because I am out of town?
We are encouraging you to arrive early on the day of your respective commencement ceremony so that you can speak with a commencement volunteer or a Marshal and go over the instructions for students.
Will accommodations be provided for guests with accessibility needs?
Accessible seating, shuttle service, and special parking are available during all commencement ceremonies. Signage will be posted throughout campus and in the commencement venues. For additional information contact the Center for Disability Resources at cdr [at] desu.edu.
Do children and DSU employees and students need tickets to attend commencement?
Everyone needs a ticket to attend commencement, including children. Please email questions/concerns to hornetcommencement [at] desu.edu
- What is the COVID-19 protocol?
Graduates and guests are strongly encouraged to monitor their own health between now and the ceremony. Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, cough or shortness of breath, is NOT allowed to attend the ceremony under any circumstances. Likewise, anyone who is required to quarantine under the state’s travel advisory or because they had close contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19 is NOT allowed to attend the ceremony under any circumstances.
- Is there a GPA requirement for Presidential Leadership Awards Applicants?
There is no GPA requirement however all applicants must be in good standing with the University.
- Is the Kente stole required or optional?
The stole is optional.
- If someone cannot make the times provided for the graduate photos, what should they do?
Graduate Photos are being taken by Life Touch Photography. Please contact them directly for your inquiry. Please remember to use code 721 to schedule an appointment.