Are there tickets for Commencement?
Tickets are required for the May Commencement ceremonies for everyone attending, including children. Tickets are free and will be distributed from May 2 - 6 at the Ticket Office in Memorial Hall Gymnasium from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Students must bring I.D. Remember that anyone can watch the Commencement ceremony on their mobile device or computer with live streaming. The link will be located on Delaware State University’s website.
- Students participating in the Undergraduate Commencement ceremony will receive 10 guest tickets.
- Students participating in the Graduate Commencement ceremony will receive 6 tickets.
- If you are unable to pick up tickets, please email hornetcommencement [at] desu.edu
- Will there be an alternative viewing site at Commencement?
Yes. The Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Center and EH Theater are where Commencement will be broadcast live on screens as alternative viewing sites.
- How long is the ceremony?
Approximately 2 hours
- Who is the speaker?
- What are the qualifications for walking at Commencement?
Please see Graduation Requirements.
- Can I still walk at Commencement if I still have to take one or two fall, spring or summer classes?
- Can I decorate my cap (mortarboard)?
Yes, however, what adorns your mortarboard must be tasteful, not offensive, or include any derogatory images or words.
When do I have to arrive on campus for Commencement?Graduate Commencement on May 12th
• Graduates should arrive on campus by 8 a.m. lineup area tbd.
• Faculty – Holding area TBD
Undergraduate Commencement on May 14th
• Undergraduates should arrive by 8 a.m. Outdoor basketball courts (between the MLK Student Center and Wellness and Recreation Center)
• Faculty – 8 a.m. Report to Indoor basketball courts in the Wellness Recreation Center.
- When can my family/friends come to Commencement to get a seat?
Two hours prior to the start of the Commencement ceremony (8 a.m.).
- What activities are there for graduating seniors?
Please check the DSU Commencement website under “Dates to Remember”
- Where can I get my cap and gown from?
The estimated delivery time is 4-6 weeks to your home address for pre-ordered regalia. For students that did not pre-order, cap and gown (regalia) distribution are held in the Bookstore in the MLKSC. Please check the DSU Commencement web site under “Important Steps for Degree Candidates.”
- If I am in a Fraternity or Sorority, where can I get my Greek sash from?
Stop by the Bookstore in the MLKSC.
- Is Commencement going to be filmed?
Yes, however, it will not be for sale. Please feel free to ask your family/friends to capture the ceremony. The ceremony will be streamed live on the commencement webpage.
- Where do I get my invitations for Commencement from?
Please attend the Grad Fair in the Bookstore or go to www.herffjones.com. Click on “Graduation” then click “Announcements”. The DSU Copy Center also sells announcements at a low cost.
- Where do I get my honor cords from?
If you are eligible for honor cords, you will get an email regarding honors cords to be picked up in April.
- What are the Commencement fees for?
Cap/gown, administrative fees and activities
- What are the parking options for students, family, and friends?
There will be plenty of parking on campus available. Prospective graduates as well as their family and friends can park in any parking lot with the exception of reserved spaces and fire lanes.
Please do not park at area businesses during Commencement. Your vehicle will be subject to ticketing and/or towing. Fines and fees will apply. Handicapped spaces will continue to be reserved for only handicapped designated cars. Handicapped parking and the wheelchair drop-off points for Commencement parking will be near Alumni Stadium and other locations. Special needs and handicapped seating will also be designated at both ceremonies. See Campus Map.
- How are Latin honors determined?
Latin honors are based on the previous semester’s cumulative GPA.
- Can I walk in May 2020 even though I finished in December 2019?
Yes, however, your name may not appear in the May Commencement printed program.
- Can I walk in May 2022 even though I finished in December 2021?
Can I make arrangements to stay in my dorm until after commencement?
To make arrangements to stay in the dorms you must send an email to: housing [at] desu.edu. Seniors requesting extending housing time must move out by Monday, May 16, 2022 by 5:00 p.m.
What if I am unable to attend the commencement rehearsal because I am out of town?
We are encouraging you to arrive early on the day of your respective commencement ceremony so that you can speak with a commencement volunteer or a Marshal and go over the instructions for students.
Will accommodations be provided for guests with accessibility needs?
Accessible seating, shuttle service, and special parking are available during all commencement ceremonies. Signage will be posted throughout campus and in the commencement venues. For additional information contact the Center for Disability Resources at cdr [at] desu.edu.
Do children and DSU employees and students need tickets to attend commencement?
Everyone needs a ticket to attend commencement, including children. Please email questions/concerns to hornetcommencement [at] desu.edu
Why are there two different commencement ceremonies/days?
Delaware State University is hosting two ceremonies to allow graduates to be able to enjoy a short ceremony on campus and to be able to continue their celebrations with family and friends. Master’s and Doctoral students will graduate on May 12, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. - Memorial Hall Gymnasium. Undergraduate students will graduate on Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. – Memorial Hall Gymnasium.
- What is the COVID-19 protocol?
Graduates and guests are strongly encouraged to monitor their own health between now and the ceremony. Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, cough or shortness of breath, is NOT allowed to attend the ceremony under any circumstances. Likewise, anyone who is required to quarantine under the state’s travel advisory or because they had close contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19 is NOT allowed to attend the ceremony under any circumstances. Please refer to the commencement website for COVID-19 protocols.
- Is there a GPA requirement for Presidential Leadership Awards Applicants?
There is no GPA requirement however all applicants must be in good standings.
- Is the Kente stole required or optional?
The stole is optional.
- If someone cannot make the times provided for the senior class photos, what should they do?
Senior Photos are being taken by BARKSDALE PHOTOGRAPHY. Please contact them directly for your inquiry.
- If someone is graduating in May 2023, should they order their cap and gown now and take senior photos?
Summer 2022 graduates can participate in the May 2023 commencement ceremonies. Please keep an eye on the website for important dates.