Returning & Transfer Students
Academic school Year 2021 - 22 Scholarship
Application period opens: October 1, 2020 to January 31, 2021
Delaware State University Foundation scholarships have been made possible by a generous commitment from donors. The Delaware State University Foundation supports students who have demonstrated a commitment to completing their education and have met various criteria as specified by our donors and scholarship awarding committee.
Returning / current DSU students and transfer students who wish to be considered for a Delaware State University Privately Funded Scholarship should review the information below.
- PLEASE READ: Applying for a scholarship does not mean you will automatically be awarded a scholarship but your application will be reviewed for consideration by the scholarship committee.
- You must be enrolled to apply.
- You can apply online at: https://desu.awardspring.com
- If you have a problem with completing the application, please send an email to dsufoundation [at] desu.edu. Include your name, D100# and DSU student email address.
- Please list your Delaware State University email on your application. Notification of award status will be sent via email to your DSU student email account.
Scholarships awarding for school year 2021- 2022 will be awarded as follow (see below):
- Availability of Scholarship Funds
- The Donor’s guidelines
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 1 semester at DSU by the beginning of the 2020-21 school year or be entering as a transfer student.
- Must complete a 2021-22 FAFSA Application.
- Must have a 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA., unless stated otherwise.
- Must be a full-time student at DSU, unless stated otherwise
- Scholarships are disbursed evenly between the Fall and Spring semester of each academic year.
- Scholarships may only be used to cover direct educational expenses billed by the University (tuition, fees, housing, meal plans and book vouchers).
- All scholarships funds that exceed direct educational expenses will be reduced and refunded to the donor.
- Students who are awarded a scholarship, must send a thank you letter to the Office of Development via email at dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
Alumni Legacy Scholarship
For the Alumni Legacy Scholarship, additional information is required:
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- One letter of recommendation should be from an alumna / alumnus of Delaware State University.
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted no later than January 31st to:
The Alumni Legacy Scholarship Committee
Delaware State University
2nd Floor Administration Building
1200 North DuPont Highway
Dover, DE, 19901
or via email to: dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
Applicants must be the alumni legacy. You must have a parent or grandparent who is an alum of DSU to be eligible for this scholarship.
A 250-word essay is required that describes what receiving Alumni Legacy Scholarship support means to you and why you are requesting such support. Each applicant must include in their essay the name of the parent or grandparent who is an Alum of DSU. Applications will not be considered if this information is not included.
Also explain why you should be selected for a scholarship.
If you have a particular financial need, include a paragraph about this topic
Osher Reentry and Crankstart Reentry Scholarships offer tuition assistance to non-traditional students enrolled at DSU. Non-traditional students are students who:
- Nontraditional typically defines a student, minimum age 25, who is beginning or resuming his/her college education.
- Have experienced a gap in their education of at least five years since completing high school
- Are starting or resuming studies toward their first baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree
- Demonstrate financial need
- Enrollment is a pre-condition of receiving an award.
Please visit Osher/Crankstart Reentry Scholarships for additional information on eligibility
List of Scholarships - Students only need to fill out one application.
Special thanks to all of our donors for making these scholarships possible.
- Accounting & Finance Scholarship
- African School Society Endowed Scholarship
- AgFirst Farm Credit Bank Scholarship
- Agriculture DuPont Grant Scholarship
- Airway Science DRBA Retention Scholarship
- AKA General Scholarship - Zeta Omega, Epsilon Iota Omega, Sigma Zeta Omega Chapters
- Alumni Legacy Endowed Scholarship
- Alumni Scholarship Campaign
- Amos, Kent & Carmen Endowed Scholarship
- Anheuser Busch “Budweiser First Generation” Scholarship
- Arsht Cannon Fund Scholarships
- Art Department Scholarships
- Arthur Bragg Memorial Scholarship
- Arts Center Gallery Scholarship Fund
- AstraZeneca Endowed Scholarship
- Athletics Boosters Endowed Scholarship
- Athletics Endowed Scholarship
- Atkins, Charles W. Scholarship
- Band Scholarship
- Bank of America Endowed Scholarship
- Barbara W. Dorsey Endowed Scholarship
- Basketball Scholarship Fund
- Bell Atlantic Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Beneficial Bank Endowed Scholarship
- Bennie & Shirley Smith Endowed Scholarship
- Bernie L. Wilkins Scholarship
- Canaan Baptist Church Scholarship
- Cathleen Trigg-Jones Scholarship
- Charles C. and Virginia L. Carson Endowed Scholarship
- Chemistry Scholarships
- Class of 1947 Scholarship
- Class of 1948/1949 Scholarship
- Class of 1952 Scholarship
- Class of 1957 Scholarship
- Class of 1961 Culture of Giving Fund
- Class of 1962 Scholarship
- Class of 1964 Scholarship
- Class of 1965 Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1967 Scholarship
- Class of 1969 Scholarship
- Class of 1970 Scholarship
- Class of 1972 Scholarship
- Class of 1973 Scholarship
- Class of 1975 Scholarship
- Class of 1977 Scholarship
- Class of 1978 Scholarship
- Class of 1981 Scholarship
- Class of 1987 Scholarship
- Class of 1992 Scholarship
- Class of 1997 Scholarship
- Class of 2002 Scholarship
- Class of 2007 Book Scholarship
- Class of 2007 Scholarship
- Class of 2008 Scholarship
- Class of 2011 Scholarship
- Class of 2012 Book Scholarship
- Class of 2013 Book Scholarship
- College of Agriculture and Related Sciences Scholarships
- College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences Scholarship
- Comprehensive Learning Center Scholarship
- Catherine N. Cook Scholarship
- Crankstart Re-entry Scholarship
- Daniel T. Covington Scholarship Fund
- Mabel Dawson Nursing Scholarships
- DC.MD.VA Alumni Facebook Group Book Scholarship
- DE State Lab. H.S. Book Fund - Class of ‘47 Endowed Scholarship
- Dean’s Scholarships - College of Business
- Charles Debnam Grad. Scholarship in Social Work
- Vermell Delauder Scholarship
- William B. DeLauder Endowed Scholarship
- Delaware BioScience Endowed Scholarship
- Delaware State Grange - Agriculture Scholarship
- Delaware State University Trustee Scholarship Program
- Delmarva Power Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Delta Sigma Theta Endowed Scholarship
- Dennis J. Savage Memorial Scholarship
- Department of Biology Scholarship
- Department of Education Scholarships
- Department of Management Scholarship
- Department of Physics Scholarship
- Dr. Norman Dill Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Francis A. DiMondi, Sr. Memorial Scholarship
- Donald Wright Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Dr. Berlin & Dr. Reba R. Hollingsworth Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Clorice Thomas-Haysbert Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Daniel E. Coons Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Derrick E. Nelson Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Donald A. & Delores F. Blakey Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Donald T. L. Byrd Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Fatma Helmy Memorial Endowed Book Scholarship
- Dr. Jose and Zona Saez Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Jose E. Valentini Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. K. Bernard Chase and Audrey Skrine Chase Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Kenneth Bell Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Norman Dill Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Rahmanda Salamatu Campbell dba The Reading Clinic Scholarship
- Drew Book Scholarship
- DSC Legends Athletics Endowed Scholarship
- DSUAA DC Chapter (Alice S. Coverdale Scholarship)
- DSUAA Delaware Valley Chapter Scholarship
- DSUAA Metropolitan New York Chapter (Lambe/Singler Scholarship)
- DSUAA New Castle County Scholarship Fund
- DSUAA Philadelphia Chapter Scholarship
- DSUAA-Kent County Chapter Scholarships
- Dupont Institute Education
- DuPont Scholarship - STEM
- ECHS Scholarship Fund
- Edward T. Crawford Endowed Scholarship
- Edwin M. Burke Memorial Scholarship
- Elbert N. Carvel Scholarship
- English Dept. Scholarships
- Ernest Talbert, Sr. Endowed Scholarship
- Walter Evans Memorial Scholarship
- Fatima Edwards Book Scholarship
- First State Constitutional Scholarship
- Football Scholarship Fund
- Frank and Linda Chick Endowed Scholarship
- Frederick J. Franklin Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Fred McKenzie Scholarship
- Frederick and Chestene Coverdale Memorial Scholarship
- Friends Forever, LLC Scholarship Award
- Generation III Scholarship Fund
- George Washington Scholarship
- William A. Gibbs Memorial Scholarship
- Gilbert H.”Slew”Jackson, Jr. & Ruth T. Jackson Athletic End
- Harry Godt, Jr. Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- Gospel Choir Scholarship Fund
- William Granville, Jr. Scholarship
- Barbara Guliani Scholarship for Non-traditional Students
- Gwendolyn Braxton Endowed Scholarship
- H & B Services Scholarship
- Hach Scientific Foundation Scholarship
- Hortense M. Priest Memorial Scholarship
- Major Hairston Endowed Scholarship
- Halvin T. and Pauline E. Blocksom Endowed Scholarship
- Harriet R. Williams Memorial Scholarship
- Harrison H. Short and Aleatha H. Short Scholarship
- Health & Human Performance Scholarship
- HER Scholarship - Speer Trust
- Hercules Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Historic Preservation Scholarship Fund
- History, Political Science & Philosophy Scholarship Fund
- Holland, Wilmer, Lofland Endowed Scholarship
- Horace Foundation Endowed Criminal Justice Scholarship
- Hospitality & Tourism Management Endowed Scholarship
- Hunter Memorial Scholarship
- I.G. Burton & Co. Endowed Scholarship
- Inez O. Means Endowed Scholarship
- International China Fund Scholarship
- J.P. Morgan Delaware Scholarship
- James Frank and Mary J. Marshall Endowed Scholarship
- James Scott King Scholarship
- Jane Waters Bickham Endowed Scholarship
- Jason, William C. Scholarship
- Jethro Williams Memorial Scholarship
- Joel & Arlene Coppadge Endowed Scholarship
- John A. Bernard Memorial Scholarship
- John and Sherri Ridgeway Endowed Scholarship
- John Taylor Endowed Scholarship
- Journalism Scholarship
- Justin Hackley Memorial Fund
- Kailyn Lowry Scholarship
- Kappa Convergence
- James Scott King Endowed Scholarship
- Kutz, Milton & Hattie Foundation Scholarship
- Law Studies Program Award
- Lois R. Billings Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Longhorn Rose Ranch Hunt Club Scholarship
- Love Jones General Scholarship
- Luther and Mary Ida Vandross Scholarship Fund
- Machen, Ronald & Ethel Endowed Scholarship
- MARC Program Scholarships
- Marion E. Gibbs Endowed Scholarship
- Mass Communications Scholarships
- Math & Computer Science Scholarship
- Maurice and Laverne Thomason Scholarship Fund
- MBNA America Scholarship
- McDowell Family Scholarship Fund
- Michael Ingram II Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Michael J. Feeney Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Minnie Hill Scholarship
- Mishoe Family Endowed Scholarship
- Mkombozi (Blakey) Scholarship Fund
- Molock, Guy & Inez Endowed Scholarship
- John T. Moor & Lucille Endowed Scholarship
- Morrill Act Scholarship
- Laverne Mosely Memorial Scholarship
- Mr. and Mrs. Chester and Ramona Hart Scholarship Endowment
- Mrs. Marstella Harvey Endowed Scholarship
- Mrs. Stell Harvey Memorial Scholarship
- Ned W. Brown Jr. Endowed Scholarship
- Norman Oliver Book Scholarship
- Omega Psi Phi - Psi Epsilon Chapter Endowed Scholarship
- Omega Psi Phi (Arthur E. Bragg) Endowed Scholarsh
- Osher Reentry Scholarship Program Endowment
- Outten, E. Stuart Endowed Scholarship
- Dorothy Parler Memorial Scholarship
- Peggy Cuffee Brinkley Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Phillip E. and Deborah Scott Endowed Scholarship
- President’s Scholarship Ball Book Scholarship Account
- John R. Price Memorial Scholarship
- Queens NY College Fund Scholarship
- Rebecca Twilley Gates Memorial Scholarship
- Reginald D. Harris Scholarship
- Rehoboth Beach Young People’s Assoc. Endowed Scholarship
- Reverend Floreta W. Nickerson Scholarship
- Reverend Tommie L. Brown Memorial Endowed Book Scholarship
- Robert A. Young Memorial Scholarship
- Robert and Cecelia S. Vanderhost Endowed Scholarship
- Robert Michael Hassell Sr. Endowed Scholarship
- Ronald T. Neal Memorial Scholarship
- Ruth Helen Washington Scholarship Award
- R. Town Services Book Scholarship
- Andrew Saxton Memorial Scholarship
- Annie Ruth Saxton Memorial Scholarship
- Scholarships for International Students
- Annie R. Semple Scholarship
- Shalita Middleton Memorial Scholarship
- SICO, The Foundation Scholarship
- John Sims Endowed Scholarship
- Social Work Scholarships
- Donald L. Steenhagen Memorial Scholarship
- Strada Scholarship Fund
- Student Government Association Endowed Scholarship
- Student Remembrance Memorial Scholarship - New Jersey
- Sussex County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- Arnold & Peggy Swygert - History & Political Science Scholarship
- Arnold & Peggy Swygert- Social Work Scholarship
- Tanya A. Haman Memorial Scholarship
- The Dr. Jose and Zona Saez Endowed Scholarship
- The Draper Family Endowed Scholarship
- The Dream.US Scholarship
- The Greater Detroit Michigan Alumni Scholarship Fund
- The Groove Phi Groove Endowed Scholarship Fund
- The Hardin T. And Gladys T. Watkins Endowed Scholarship
- The Jerome H. Pinkett Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- The Joseph H. Pinkett, Sr. and Leona M. Pinkett Endowment
- The Mary J Marshal Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- The Stanley Fund Scholarships
- The Steven R. Ewing Endowed Scholarship
- The Wellington D. Swindall Book Scholarship Fund Endowed
- The Wilbert L. “Bunny” Miller Endowed Scholarship
- Thompson Hospitality Scholarship
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund Scholarships
- Toyota Scholarship Fund
- Valerie Lyons Memorial Scholarship Award
- Edith P. Vincent Wellness Scholarship
- Virginia & Edward Dennis Endowed Scholarship
- Visual & Performing Arts Scholarships
- W. DeEdwin Hursey Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Elissa Walker Endowed Scholarship
- Richard Walker Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Charles Waples Scholarship in Math & Computer Science
- Cora E. Warren Memorial Scholarship
- Ulysses Washington Scholarship
- Ramier Abdula Waters Memorial Scholarship
- Wells Fargo Foundation Retention Scholarship
- William C. Jason Library Book Fund
- William G. Conner Endowed Scholarship
- William J. & Reverend Shirley M. Smith, Sr. End. Scholarship
- Rev. J.H. Williams Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Clarence E. Wilson Scholarship
- Floretta Nickerson Wilson Memorial Scholarship
- Wine Psi Phi Fraternity & Beta Phi Burgundy Sorority Endowed
- Women’s Basketball Scholarships
For questions or concerns, please send an email to dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
Please note that Federal and University financial assistance is available only to U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents. Also, please be aware that scholarships, policies, guidelines, and criteria are subject to change without prior notification.
Will scholarships cover the full cost of my education at DSU?
Delaware State University is committed to making higher education accessible, as demonstrated by our reasonable tuition for in-state and out-of-state students and in our variety of scholarships, financial aid programs, and financing plans. While we strive to make a University education affordable, virtually all students will have a combination of student and family contributions and student/parent loans in addition to any grants or scholarships awarded.
I am a high school senior looking to come to DSU in the fall. May I apply for these scholarships?
The Office of Admissions offers scholarships to incoming, first-time freshmen. The Returning and Transfer Student Scholarships are only available to returning students or those students transferring to Delaware State University from other institutions.
I have applied for admission to DSU as a transfer student, but when I try to complete the application, I get an error message indicating I am not a student. Why?
Only a transfer student whose application has been accepted by the Office of Admissions may complete the scholarship application. If your application is incomplete or has not been finalized, you may not apply.
What is the user ID and password for the application?
The user ID is your Delaware State University student ID# and the password is the PIN you use to access Student Services. If you are a transfer student and do not know your student ID# or PIN, please contact the Office of Records and Registration.
The list of available scholarships does not indicate how much each is worth. How do I know which ones to select if I don’t know how much they are worth?
The scholarships come from various sources such as endowments and private donations and the award amounts are often left to the discretion of the Scholarship Committee based upon the number of applicants, availability of funds, and overall merit and financial need of the applicants. The average scholarship recipient received a total of $2,000 in 2010–11.
When should I expect to get a refund check from my scholarships?
Scholarships may only be used to cover direct educational expenses billed by the University (tuition, fees, housing, meal plans and book vouchers). All scholarship funds that exceed direct educational expenses will be reduced. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Why do I have to complete a FAFSA?
The Privately Funded scholarships and the Alumni Legacy scholarship are awarded based upon both financial need and merit. Recipients are not required to have a high need, but some amount of need is necessary. Please do not assume your financial need is not low enough! Complete the scholarship application anyway. Students with very low need may be awarded scholarships as well as those students with high need.
I have a very high GPA. Why wasn’t I awarded any scholarships?
Make sure to read all of the eligibility requirements. Remember, you must have a valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid. If your Student Aid Report does not contain an EFC, then your FAFSA is not valid. Also, you must have some amount of financial need. Also, many scholarships have specific eligibility requirements aside from GPA that you may not meet.
Are the scholarships open to graduate students?
Scholarships are generally only available to undergraduate students unless otherwise specified in the criteria.
I am a transfer student. How will you know my GPA?
The Scholarship Committee obtains transfer student GPAs from the Office of Admissions.
I made a mistake on my application! How can I fix it?
Please review your application for accuracy before submitting it. All applications are final once they have been submitted.