Student Health Insurance
Delaware State University provides access for students to a cost-effective Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through UnitedHealthcare.
- All full-time (12 or more credit hour) U.S. undergraduate students, University-sponsored graduate students* and international students must complete an online student health insurance enrollment/waiver process by the deadline for each semester.
2022-2023 deadlines: Fall 2022 – September 13 | Spring/Summer 2023 – February 8
Students who have health insurance that meets the University plan requirements and can provide proof of comparable coverage may be able to opt out of the SHIP.
Students who submit a waiver application before the deadline will avoid mandatory enrollment in the SHIP and billing of the $427.50 per semester premium to their Student Account upon approval of the waiver.
For students enrolling in the SHIP, a $427.50 per semester insurance premium will be billed to their Student Account. The annual cost is $855.
*Graduate students who are not University-sponsored and who do not have insurance coverage may voluntarily enroll in the SHIP and pay for the insurance on their own.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A WAIVER
If you have insurance coverage, you must apply for a waiver to opt out of the SHIP. To apply for a waiver, please follow the steps below:
- Go to www.firststudent.com, select Delaware State University from the drop-down box, and click the “Waive Your School’s Insurance” link on the left-hand side under Student Tools.
- Click “Waive Now” in the blue box and log in to the waiver site using your Delaware State University student ID number (please include the letter D) and your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY).
- Follow the instructions to complete the waiver application. Once you have completed the waiver application, you will receive an on-screen confirmation and an email notifying you of the waiver request decision. If you receive a:
- Pending email – Your waiver is pending until we can verify that your coverage is equivalent to the SHIP. The status of your waiver application will be updated in 5 to 7 business days and you will be contacted by email.
- Denial email – Your waiver was denied.
- Approval email – Your waiver was approved. You should print this email and save it with your records.
HOW TO ENROLL
If you do not have insurance coverage, you must enroll in the SHIP. This will allow you to get your insurance ID card sooner and will also prevent you from receiving future reminders about this waiver process. To enroll for coverage, please follow the steps below:
- Go to www.firststudent.com, select Delaware State University from the drop-down box, and click the “Enroll Now-Health Insurance” link on the left-hand side under Student Tools.
- Log in to the waiver site using your Delaware State University student ID number (please include the letter D) and your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY).
- Review the information and follow the on-screen directions. Once enrolled, you will receive an on-screen confirmation and an email confirmation.
DON’T FORGET: You must complete an online waiver or enroll in the University’s policy each semester.
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS? Please visit www.firststudent.com/school_detail/customer-service-delaware-state-unive… to contact Customer Service.