Returning & Transfer Students
Academic school Year 2020 - 21 Scholarship
Application period opens: January 13, 2020 to March 31, 2020
Delaware State University Foundation scholarships have been made possible by a generous commitment from donors. The Delaware State University Foundation supports students who have demonstrated a commitment to completing their education and have met various criteria as specified by our donors and scholarship awarding committee.
Returning / current DSU students and transfer students who wish to be considered for a Delaware State University Privately Funded Scholarships should review the information below.
- PLEASE READ: Applying for a scholarship does not mean you will automatically be awarded a scholarship but your application will be reviewed for consideration by the scholarship committee.
- You must be enrolled to apply.
- You can apply at: https://desu.awardspring.com
- If you have a problem with completing the application, please send an email to dsufoundation [at] desu.edu. Include your name, D100# and DSU student email address.
- Please list your Delaware State University email on your application. Notification of award status will be sent via email to your DSU student email account.
Scholarships awarding for school year 2020- 2021 will be awarded as follow (see below):
- Availability of Scholarship Funds
- The Donor’s guidelines
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 1 semester at DSU by the beginning of the 2020-21 school year or be entering as a transfer student.
- Must complete a FAFSA Application.
- Must have a 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA., unless stated otherwise.
- Must be a full-time student at DSU, unless stated otherwise
- Scholarships are disbursed evenly between the Fall and Spring semester of each academic year.
- Scholarships may only be used to cover direct educational expenses billed by the University (tuition, fees, housing, meal plans and book vouchers).
- All scholarships funds that exceed direct educational expenses will be reduced and refunded to the donor.
- Students who are awarded a scholarship, must send a thank you letter to the Office of Development via email at dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
Alumni Legacy Scholarship
For the Alumni Legacy Scholarship, additional information is required:
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- One letter of recommendation should be from an alumna / alumnus of Delaware State University.
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted no later than March 29, 2019 to:
The Alumni Legacy Scholarship Committee
Delaware State University
2nd Floor Administration Building
1200 North DuPont Highway
Dover, DE, 19901
or via email to: dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
A 250-word essay is required that describes what receiving Alumni Legacy Scholarship support means to you and why you are requesting such support.
Also explain why you should be selected for a scholarship.
If you have a particular financial need, include a paragraph about this topic
List of Scholarships - Students only need to fill out one application.
Special thanks to all of our donors for making these scholarships possible.
- AgFirst Farm Credit Bank Scholarship
- Alumni Legacy Endowed Scholarship
- Amos, Kent & Carmen Endowed Scholarship
- Athletic Boosters Endowed Scholarship
- Bank of America Endowed Scholarship (Nations Bank)
- Bell Atlantic Endowed Scholarship
- Beneficial Bank Endowed Scholarship
- Bennie & Shirley Smith Endowed Scholarship
- Bernie L. Wilikins Juneteenth Scholarship
- Blakey, Dr. Donald A. & Delores Endowed Scholarship
- Bragg, Arthur Memorial Scholarship
- Braxton, Gwendolyn Endowed Scholarship
- Brown, Reverend Tommie L. Memorial Book Scholarship
- Burke, Edwin M. Memorial Scholarship
- Bush, Valerie Endowed Scholarship
- Canaan Baptist Church Scholarship (must submit a letter from Church)
- Carvel, Elbert N. Scholarship
- Catherine N. Cook Scholarship
- Cathleen Trigg-Jones Scholarship
- Class of 1965 Endowed Scholarship
- Crankstart Re-Entry Scholarship
- Cuff, Blanche Russ Endowed Scholarship
- Darnerien McCants Endowed Scholarship
- Dawson, Mabel Nursing Scholarship
- DeLauder, William B. Endowed Scholarship
- Delaware State University Trustee Scholarship
- Delmarva Power Endowed Scholarship
- Dennis, Virginia & Edward Endowed Scholarship
- Dill, Norman Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Berlin & Dr. Reba R. Hollingsworth Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Clorice Thomas-Haysbert Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Daniel E. Coons Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Donald A. Parks Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Fatma Helmy Memorial Endowed Book Scholarship
- Dr. Gustav A. Ofosu Scholarship
- Dr. K. Bernard Chase and Audrey Skrine Chase Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Kenneth Bell Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Norman Dill Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Ulysses S. Washington Endowed Scholarship
- Draper Communications Endowed Scholarship
- DSC Legends Athletic Scholarship
- DSUAA Kent County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- DSUAA New Castle County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- DSUAA Sussex County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- Edward T. Crawford Endowed Scholarship
- Ernest Talbert, Sr. Endowed Scholarship
- Evans, Walter Memorial Scholarship
- First State Constitutional Scholarship
- Frank and Linda Chick Endowed Scholarship
- Franklin, Frederick J. Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Fred McKenzie Scholarship
- Frederick Coverdale Memorial Scholarship Fund
- George Washington Scholarship
- Gilbert H.”Slew”Jackson, JR. & Ruth T. Jackson Athletic
- Gilliam, James Jr. Endowed Scholarship
- Godt, Jr., Harry Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- Hairston, Major Endowed Scholarship
- Halvin T. and Pauline E. Blocksom Endowed Scholarship
- Hardin T. and Gladys T. Watkins Endowed Scholarship
- Harrison H. Short and Aleatha H. Short Scholarship
- Hercules Endowed Scholarship
- Holland, Wilmer, Lofland Endowed Scholarship
- Horace Foundation Endowed Criminal Justice Scholarship
- Hospitality & Tourism Management Endowed Scholarship
- Hunter Memorial Scholarship
- Inez O. Means Endowed Scholarship
- James Frank and Mary J. Marshall Endowed Scholarship
- James Scott King Scholarship
- Jane Waters Bickham Endowed Scholarship
- Jason, William C. Memorial Scholarship
- John and Sherri Ridgeway Endowed Scholarship
- John R. Price Memorial Scholarship
- Kailyn Lowry Scholarship
- King, James Scott Scholarship
- Kutz, Milton & Hattie Foundation Scholarship
- Larry F. Potts Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Lois R. Billings Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Machen, Ronald & Ethel Endowed Scholarship
- Marion E. Gibbs Endowed Scholarship
- Maurice and Laverne Thomason Scholarship
- Mayo, Lillian Spencer Endowed Scholarship
- McDowell Family Scholarship
- Michael Ingram II Endowed Scholarship
- Mishoe Family Endowed Scholarship
- Mkombozi (Blakey) Scholarship Fund
- Molock, Guy & Inez Endowed Scholarship
- Moor, John T., Sr. & Lucille Endowed Scholarship
- Mr. and Mrs. Chester and Ramona Hart Endow Scholarship
- Ned W. Brown Jr. Endowed Scholarship
- Norman Oliver Scholarship Fund
- Osher Reentry Scholarships Program Endowment
- Outten, E. Stuart Endowed Scholarship
- Peggy Cuffee Brinkley Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Phillip E. and Deborah Scott Endowed Scholarship
- President Ball Scholarship
- Reginald D. Harris Scholarship
- Rehoboth Beach Young People’s Assoc. Endowed Scholarship
- Reverend Floreta W. Nickerson Scholarship
- Reverend Tommie L. Brown Memorial Endowed Book Scholarship
- Robert A. Young Memorial Scholarship
- Robert and Cecelia S. Vanderhost Endowed Scholarship
- Robert Michael Hassell Sr. Endowed Scholarship
- Ruth Helen Washington Scholarship Award
- Saxton, Andrew Memorial Scholarship
- Saxton, Annie Ruth Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Semple, Anne Scholarship
- Sims, John Endowed Scholarship
- Student Government Association Endowed Scholarship
- Swygert, Arnold & Peggy - History & Political Science Scholarship
- Swygert, Arnold & Peggy - Social Work Scholarship
- The Groove Phi Groove Endowed Scholarship
- The Jerome H. Pinkett Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- The Stanley Fund Scholarship
- The Steven R. Ewing Endowed Scholarship
- The Terance Hoover Endowed Scholarship
- The Wellington D. Swindall Book Scholarship Fund Endowed
- Tri-State Association I.B.P.O.E. Endowed Scholarship
- Valerie Lyons Memorial Scholarship Award
- W. DeEdwin Hursey Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Walker, Elissa H. Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Walker, Richard Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Waples, Charles Scholarship in Chemistry
- Waples, Charles Scholarship in Math & Computer Science
- Warren, Cora E. Memorial Scholarship
- Washington, Ulysses Scholarship
- Waters, Floyd Endowed Scholarship
- Williams, Harriet R. Memorial Scholarship Fund
- William J. & Reverend Shirley M. Smith, Sr. Scholarship Fund
- Williams, Rev. J. H. Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Wilson, Clarence E. Scholarship
- Zeneca (ICI Americas) Endowed Scholarship
For questions or concerns, please send an email to dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
Please note that Federal and University financial assistance is available only to U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents. Also, please be aware that scholarships, policies, guidelines, and criteria are subject to change without prior notification.
Will scholarships cover the full cost of my education at DSU?
Delaware State University is committed to making higher education accessible, as demonstrated by our reasonable tuition for in-state and out-of-state students and in our variety of scholarships, financial aid programs, and financing plans. While we strive to make a University education affordable, virtually all students will have a combination of student and family contributions and student/parent loans in addition to any grants or scholarships awarded.
I am a high school senior looking to come to DSU in the fall. May I apply for these scholarships?
The Office of Admissions offers scholarships to incoming, first-time freshmen. The Returning and Transfer Student Scholarships are only available to returning students or those students transferring to Delaware State University from other institutions.
I have applied for admission to DSU as a transfer student, but when I try to complete the application, I get an error message indicating I am not a student. Why?
Only a transfer student whose application has been accepted by the Office of Admissions may complete the scholarship application. If your application is incomplete or has not been finalized, you may not apply.
What is the user ID and password for the application?
The user ID is your Delaware State University student ID# and the password is the PIN you use to access Student Services. If you are a transfer student and do not know your student ID# or PIN, please contact the Office of Records and Registration.
The list of available scholarships does not indicate how much each is worth. How do I know which ones to select if I don’t know how much they are worth?
The scholarships come from various sources such as endowments and private donations and the award amounts are often left to the discretion of the Scholarship Committee based upon the number of applicants, availability of funds, and overall merit and financial need of the applicants. The average scholarship recipient received a total of $2,000 in 2010–11.
When should I expect to get a refund check from my scholarships?
Scholarships may only be used to cover direct educational expenses billed by the University (tuition, fees, housing, meal plans and book vouchers). All scholarship funds that exceed direct educational expenses will be reduced. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Why do I have to complete a FAFSA?
The Privately Funded scholarships and the Alumni Legacy scholarship are awarded based upon both financial need and merit. Recipients are not required to have a high need, but some amount of need is necessary. Please do not assume your financial need is not low enough! Complete the scholarship application anyway. Students with very low need may be awarded scholarships as well as those students with high need.
I have a very high GPA. Why wasn’t I awarded any scholarships?
Make sure to read all of the eligibility requirements. Remember, you must have a valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid. If your Student Aid Report does not contain an EFC, then your FAFSA is not valid. Also, you must have some amount of financial need. Also, many scholarships have specific eligibility requirements aside from GPA that you may not meet.
Are the scholarships open to graduate students?
Scholarships are generally only available to undergraduate students unless otherwise specified in the criteria.
I am a transfer student. How will you know my GPA?
The Scholarship Committee obtains transfer student GPAs from the Office of Admissions.
I made a mistake on my application! How can I fix it?
Please review your application for accuracy before submitting it. All applications are final once they have been submitted.