Returning & Transfer Students
Academic school Year 2018-19 Scholarship
Application period: January 8, 2018 to March 15, 2018
Delaware State University Foundation scholarships have been made possible by a generous commitment from donors. The DSU Foundation supports students who have demonstrated a commitment to completing their education and have met various criteria as specified by our donors and scholarship awarding committee.
Returning / current DSU students and transfer students who wish to be considered for University Privately Funded Scholarships should review the information below.
- PLEASE READ: Applying for a scholarship does not mean you will automatically be awarded a scholarship but your application will be reviewed for consideration by the scholarship committee.
- You must be enrolled to apply.
- You can apply at: https://desu.awardspring.com/
- If you have a problem with completing the application, please send an email to dsufoundation [at] desu.edu. and include your name and D100#.
- Notification of award status will be sent via email that you provide on your application by June 30, 2018.
Scholarships awarding for school year 2018- 2019 will be awarded according to the:
- Availability of Funds
- The Donor’s guidelines
- Financial need
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 1 semester at DSU by the beginning of the 2018-19 school year or be entering as a transfer student.
- Must complete a FAFSA Application.
- Must have a 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA., unless stated otherwise.
- Must be a full-time student at DSU, unless stated otherwise
- Scholarships are disbursed evenly between the Fall and Spring semester of each academic year.
- Scholarships may only be used to cover direct educational expenses billed by the University (tuition, fees, housing, meal plans and book vouchers).
- All scholarships funds that exceed direct educational expenses will be reduced and refunded to the donor.
- Students who are awarded a scholarship, must send a thank you letter to the Office of Development via email at dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
- For the Alumni Legacy Scholarship, additional information is required:
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- One letter of recommendation should be from an alumna / alumnus of Delaware State University.
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted no later than March 15 to:
Alumni Legacy Scholarship Committee
Delaware State University
2nd Floor Administration Building
1200 North DuPont Highway
Dover, DE, 19901
or via email to: dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
A 250-word essay is required that describes what receiving Alumni Legacy Scholarship support means to you and why you are requesting such support.
Also explain why you should be selected for a scholarship.
If you have a particular financial need, include a paragraph about this topic
Application available online January 8 – March 15, 2018 for the 2018-19 academic year.
List of Scholarships - Students only need to fill out one application.
Special thanks to all of our donors for making these scholarships possible.
- Accounting and Finance Scholarship
- AgFirst Farm Credit Bank Scholarship
- Agriculture DuPont Grant Scholarship
- Airway Science Retention Scholarship
- Alumni Legacy Endowed Scholarship
- Amos, Kent & Carmen Endowed Scholarship
- Anheuser Busch “Budweiser First Generation” Scholarship
- Arsht Cannon Fund Scholarships
- Art Dept Scholarships
- Astra Zeneca Scholarship
- Athletic Boosters Endowed Scholarship
- Athletics Department Scholarship
- Atkins, Charles W. Scholarship
- Band Scholarships
- Bank of America Endowed Scholarship (Nations Bank)
- Basketball Scholarship Fund
- Bell Atlantic Endowed Scholarship
- Beneficial Bank Endowed Scholarship
- Bennie Smith Scholarship
- Bernard, John A. Memorial Scholarship
- Blakey, Dr. Donald A. & Delores Endowed
- Bragg, Arthur Memorial Scholarship
- Braxton, Gwendolyn Endowed Scholarship
- Brown, Reverend Tommie L. Memorial Book Scholarship
- Burke, Edwin M. Memorial Scholarship
- Bush, Valerie Endowed Scholarship
- Byrd, Dr. Donald T.L. Endowed Scholarship
- Canaan Baptist Church Scholarship
- Carvel, Elbert N. Scholarship
- Catherine N. Cook Scholarship
- Cathleen Trigg-Jones Scholarship
- Chemistry Scholarships
- Class of 1947 Scholarship
- Class of 1952 Scholarship
- Class of 1957 Scholarship
- Class of 1961 Scholarship
- Class of 1962 Scholarship
- Class of 1965 Endowed Scholarship
- Class of 1967 Scholarship
- Class of 1970 Scholarship
- Class of 1972 Scholarship
- Class of 1977 Scholarship
- Class of 1981 Scholarship
- Class of 1987 Scholarship
- Class of 1992 Scholarship
- Class of 1997 Scholarship
- Class of 2002 Scholarship
- Class of 2007 Scholarship
- Class of 2011 Scholarship
- Class of 2012 Scholarship
- Class of 2013 Book Scholarships
- College of Agriculture and Related Sciences Scholarships
- Comprehensive Learning Center Scholarship
- Crankstart Re-Entry Scholarship
- Cuff, Blanche Russ Endowed Scholarship
- Darnerien McCants Endowed Scholarship
- Dawson, Mabel Nursing Scholarship
- DC.MD.VA Facebook Group Book Scholarship
- DE State Lab. H.S. Book Scholarship
- Dean of College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences Scholarship
- Debnam, Charles Grad. Scholarship in Social Work
- DeLauder, William B. Endowed Scholarship
- Delaware State Grange - Agriculture Gift
- Delaware State University Trustee Scholarship
- Delmarva Power Endowed Scholarship
- Delta Sigma Theta Endowed Scholarship
- Dennis, Virginia & Edward Endowed Scholarship
- Denny’s Inc. “Single Parent” Scholarship
- Department of Biology Scholarship
- Dill, Norman Memorial Scholarship
- Dimondi, Sr., Francis A. Memorial Scholarship
- Donald Wright Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Berlin & Dr. Reba R. Hollingsworth Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Clorice Thomas-Haysbert Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Daniel E. Coons Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Donald A. Parks Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Fatma Helmy Memorial Endowed Book Scholarship
- Dr. Gustav A. Ofosu Scholarship
- Dr. Jose and Zona Saez Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. K. Bernard Chase and Audrey Skrine Chase Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Kenneth Bell Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Luna I. Mishoe Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Norman Dill Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Ulysses S. Washington Endowed Scholarship
- Draper Communications Endowed Scholarship
- DSC Legends Athletic Scholarship
- DSUAA DC Chapter (Alice S. Coverdale) Scholarship
- DSUAA Kent County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- DSUAA Metropolitan New York Lambe/Singler Scholarship
- DSUAA New Castle County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- DSUAA Philadelphia Chapter Scholarship
- Dux, Virginia Scholarship for Social Work
- Early College High School (E.C.H.S.) Scholarship
- Education Department Scholarship
- Edward T. Crawford Endowed Scholarship
- Ernest Talbert, Sr. Endowed Scholarship
- Evans, Walter Memorial Scholarship
- First State Constitutional Scholarship
- Football Scholarship Fund
- Frank and Linda Chick Endowed Scholarship
- Franklin, Frederick J. Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Fred McKenzie Scholarship
- Frederick Coverdale Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Friends Forever, LLC Scholarship Award
- George Washington Scholarship
- Gilbert H.”Slew”Jackson, JR. & Ruth T. Jackson Athletic
- Gilliam, James Jr. Endowed Scholarship
- Godt, Jr., Harry Nursing Memorial Scholarship
- Gospel Choir Scholarship
- Granville, Jr., William Scholarship
- Hairston, Major Endowed Scholarship
- Halvin T. and Pauline E. Blocksom Endowed Scholarship
- Hardin T. and Gladys T. Watkins Endowed Scholarship
- Harrison H. Short and Aleatha H. Short Scholarship
- Hercules Endowed Scholarship
- Historic Preservation Scholarship
- History, Political Science & Philosophy Scholarship
- Holland, Wilmer, Lofland Endowed Scholarship
- Horace Foundation Endowed Criminal Justice Scholarship
- Hospitality & Tourism Management Endowed Scholarship
- Hunter Memorial Scholarship
- Inez O. Means Endowed Scholarship
- J.P. Morgan Delaware Scholarship
- James Frank and Mary J. Marshall Endowed Scholarship
- James Scott King Scholarship
- Jane Waters Bickham Endowed Scholarship
- Jason, William C. Memorial Scholarship
- John and Sherri Ridgeway Endowed Scholarship
- John R. Price Memorial Scholarship
- Kailyn Lowry Scholarship
- Kappa Convergence
- King, James Scott Scholarship
- Kutz, Milton & Hattie Foundation Scholarship
- Larry F. Potts Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Lois R. Billings Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Longhorn Rose Ranch Scholarship
- Machen, Ronald & Ethel Endowed Scholarship
- MAH Educational Scholarship
- Management Department Scholarship
- Marion E. Gibbs Endowed Scholarship
- Mass Communications Scholarships
- Math & Computer Sciences Scholarship
- Maurice and Laverne Thomason Scholarship
- Mayo, Lillian Spencer Endowed Scholarship
- McDowell Family Scholarship
- Michael Ingram II Endowed Scholarship
- Michael J. Feeney Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Mishoe Family Endowed Scholarship
- Mkombozi (Blakey) Scholarship Fund
- Molock, Guy & Inez Endowed Scholarship
- Moor, John T., Sr. & Lucille Endowed Scholarship
- Morrill Act Scholarship
- Mosely, Laverne Memorial Scholarship
- Mr. and Mrs. Chester and Ramona Hart Endow Scholarship
- Mrs. Stell Harvey Memorial Scholarship
- Ned W. Brown Jr. Endowed Scholarship
- Norman Oliver Scholarship Fund
- Omega Psi Phi - Psi Epsilon Chapter Endowed Scholarship
- Osher Reentry Scholarships Program Endowment
- Outten, E. Stuart Endowed Scholarship
- Parler, Dorothy Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Peggy Cuffee Brinkley Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Phillip E. and Deborah Scott Endowed Scholarship
- President Ball Scholarship
- Provost’s Scholarship Fund
- Public Relations Scholarship Fund
- Queens NY College Fund Scholarship
- Reginald D. Harris Scholarship
- Rehoboth Beach Young People’s Assoc. Endowed Scholarship
- Reverend Floreta W. Nickerson Scholarship
- Reverend Tommie L. Brown Memorial Endowed Book Scholarship
- Robert A. Young Memorial Scholarship
- Robert and Cecelia S. Vanderhost Endowed Scholarship
- Robert Michael Hassell Sr. Endowed Scholarship
- Ronald T. Neal Memorial Scholarship
- Ruth Helen Washington Scholarship Award
- Samjos Corporation Scholarship Fund
- Saxton, Andrew Memorial Scholarship
- Saxton, Annie Ruth Memorial Scholarship Fund
- School of Management - Dean’s Scholarship
- Semple, Anne Scholarship
- Sims, John Endowed Scholarship
- Social Work Department Scholarship
- Steenhagen, Donald L. Memorial Scholarship
- Student Accounts Book Scholarship
- Student Government Association Endowed Scholarship
- Sussex County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
- Swygert, Arnold & Peggy - History & Political Science Scholarship
- Swygert, Arnold & Peggy - Social Work Scholarship
- Talbert Memorial Scholarship
- The Dr. Jose and Zona Saez Endowed Scholarship
- The Greater Detroit Michigan Alumni Scholarship
- The Groove Phi Groove Endowed Scholarship
- The I.G. Burton & Co. Endowed Scholarship
- The Jerome H. Pinkett Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- The Joseph H. Pinkett, SR, and Leona M. Pinkett Endowment
- The Stanley Fund Scholarship
- The Steven R. Ewing Endowed Scholarship
- The Terance Hoover Endowed Scholarship
- The Wellington D. Swindall Book Scholarship Fund Endowed
- The Wilbert L. “Bunny” Miller Endowed Scholarship
- Thompson Hospitality Scholarship
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund Scholarships
- The Tom Joyner Scholarship
- Tri-State Association I.B.P.O.E. Endowed Scholarship
- Valerie Lyons Memorial Scholarship Award
- Vernell Delauder Scholarship
- Vincent, Edith P. Wellness Scholarship
- Visual & Performing Arts Scholarship
- W. DeEdwin Hursey Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Walker, Elissa H. Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Walker, Richard Endowed Memorial Scholarship
- Waples, Charles Scholarship in Chemistry
- Waples, Charles Scholarship in Math & Computer Science
- Warren, Cora E. Memorial Scholarship
- Washington, Ulysses Scholarship
- Waters, Floyd Endowed Scholarship
- Waters, Ramier Abdulah memorial Scholarship
- Williams, Harriet R. Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Williams, Rev. J. H. Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Wilson, Brian T. Scholarship Fund
- Wilson, Clarence E. Scholarship
- Wilson, Floretta Nickerson Memorial Scholarship
- Women’s Basketball Scholarships
- Zeneca (ICI Americas) Endowed Scholarship
March 15 - FAFSA Application (Priority Consideration)
March 15 - Scholarship Application (Priority Consideration)
For questions or concerns, please contact the Delaware State University Office of Financial Aid at 302.857.6250 or via email at dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.
Please note that Federal and University financial assistance is available only to U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents. Also, please be aware that scholarships, policies, guidelines, and criteria are subject to change without prior notification.
Will scholarships cover the full cost of my education at DSU?
Delaware State University is committed to making higher education accessible, as demonstrated by our reasonable tuition for in-state and out-of-state students and in our variety of scholarships, financial aid programs, and financing plans. While we strive to make a University education affordable, virtually all students will have a combination of student and family contributions and student/parent loans in addition to any grants or scholarships awarded.
I am a high school senior looking to come to DSU in the fall. May I apply for these scholarships?
The Office of Admissions offers scholarships to incoming, first-time freshmen. The Returning and Transfer Student Scholarships are only available to returning students or those students transferring to Delaware State University from other institutions.
I have applied for admission to DSU as a transfer student, but when I try to complete the application, I get an error message indicating I am not a student. Why?
Only a transfer student whose application has been accepted by the Office of Admissions may complete the scholarship application. If your application is incomplete or has not been finalized, you may not apply.
What is the user ID and password for the application?
The user ID is your Delaware State University student ID# and the password is the PIN you use to access Student Services. If you are a transfer student and do not know your student ID# or PIN, please contact the Office of Records and Registration.
The list of available scholarships does not indicate how much each is worth. How do I know which ones to select if I don’t know how much they are worth?
The scholarships come from various sources such as endowments and private donations and the award amounts are often left to the discretion of the Scholarship Committee based upon the number of applicants, availability of funds, and overall merit and financial need of the applicants. The average scholarship recipient received a total of $2,000 in 2010–11.
When should I expect to get a refund check from my scholarships?
Scholarships may only be used to cover direct educational expenses billed by the University (tuition, fees, housing, meal plans and book vouchers). All scholarship funds that exceed direct educational expenses will be reduced. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Why do I have to complete a FAFSA?
The Privately Funded scholarships and the Alumni Legacy scholarship are awarded based upon both financial need and merit. Recipients are not required to have a high need, but some amount of need is necessary. Please do not assume your financial need is not low enough! Complete the scholarship application anyway. Students with very low need may be awarded scholarships as well as those students with high need.
I have a very high GPA. Why wasn’t I awarded any scholarships?
Make sure to read all of the eligibility requirements. Remember, you must have a valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid. If your Student Aid Report does not contain an EFC, then your FAFSA is not valid. Also, you must have some amount of financial need. Also, many scholarships have specific eligibility requirements aside from GPA that you may not meet.
Are the scholarships open to graduate students?
Scholarships are generally only available to undergraduate students unless otherwise specified in the criteria.
I am a transfer student. How will you know my GPA?
The Scholarship Committee obtains transfer student GPAs from the Office of Admissions.
I made a mistake on my application! How can I fix it?
Please review your application for accuracy before submitting it. All applications are final once they have been submitted.