Student Emergency Relief Fund Application
Thank you for your interest in the COVID-19 Student Emergency Relief Fund (SERF). We received an overwhelming number of applications and disbursed our initial funds in response. Due to limited funding currently, we are suspending the application submission and approval process. Once additional funding becomes available, we will reopen the submission and approval process. Please continue to monitor the website for updates.
COVID-19 Student Emergency Relief Fund
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Delaware State University (DSU) established the Student Emergency Relief Fund to assist students with short-term costs due to the ongoing circumstances. Students can request emergency funds in the amounts up to $500. The COVID-19 Student Emergency Relief Fund (SERF) will support a student’s short term need, until all funds have been awarded, in one of the following areas:
- IT/Technology (i.e. laptop, Wi-Fi hotspot, access code for e-book)
- Food Insecurity - Please contact the food pantry for food insecurities at dsufoodpantry [at] desu.edu
- Tuition - funds awarded will be applied to your student account to cover tuition
DSU FOOD PANTRY
The DSU Food Pantry will be open every Monday 10am-1pm and Wednesday 3pm-6pm for your food needs. We are located in the Price Building Room 104. As we continue to practice social distancing and for your safety and ours please email dsufoodpantry [at] desu.edu to schedule what time you will arrive to pick up your food items.
Student Relief Funding Availability
Delaware State University is committed to making the maximum amount of relief and support available to all students affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Currently, the following relief options are available to students:
- COVID 19 Student Emergency Relief Fund (Institutional Donor Funds)
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) Student Emergency Fund
Students that received TMCF funding are not eligible at this time to receive COVID 19 Student Emergency Relief Funds. Once all initial funding has been completed, Delaware State University will update additional funding opportunities.
- Application available November 6-13, 2020
- The Student Emergency Relief Fund Committee will review applications November 16-21, 2020
- Award notification will be sent to your DSU email address by November 24, 2020
- Funds will be distributed via direct deposit or applied to your student account between December 1-14, 2020
- Be enrolled full-time as a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior undergraduate or graduate student at Delaware State University during the current academic semester. Please note: If you were a student and graduated, you are not eligible
- Delaware State University faculty and staff on tuition remission are not eligible to apply for emergency funds.
- Complete the Emergency Student Relief Fund online application.
- After review and upon approval, students must submit a thank you video stating the importance of scholarship. Please submit the Scholarship Thank You Video Here
- Students that receive the TMCF Student Emergency funds are not eligible at this time to receive Student Emergency Relief funds from the DSU Foundation.
- Students that have graduated from DSU are not eligible at this time to receive Student Emergency Relief funds.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I receive the full amount requested?
The amount requested might be different than what is awarded depending on available funds.
- Where do I send the thank you letter?
The thank you letter will be required upon approval of application. You will be notified upon award notification.
- When can I expect to receive approved funding?
If approved, funds will be disbursed up to 10 business days after approval.
I was previously awarded SERF funding, can I apply again. Yes, we are considering all student applicants during this round, including those previously awarded emergency relief funds. You must be a current DSU student to apply
- Is my previous application still on file? No, you must submit a new application to be considered for SERF.
- Can I apply multiple times for Emergency Relief support?
Due to the high volume of requests, one application per student will be considered. If additional funding is available, students will be notified for additional rounds for application submissions. Please do not make duplicate submissions.
Direct additional questions to dsufoundation [at] desu.edu.