Osher/Crankstart Reentry Scholarships
The Osher Reentry Endowed Scholarship (ORES) is available to nontraditional students* who have experienced a gap in their education of at least five years since completing high school and who are starting or resuming studies toward their first baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree. ORES awards finance tuition in amounts up to $5,000. Scholarship awards are typically split evenly between the fall and spring semesters of the year in which the award is made.
The Crankstart Reentry Scholarship (CRS) is available to non-traditional students who have experienced a gap in their education of at least five years since completing high school. Preference will be given to newly matriculating students beginning studies toward their first baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree. A minimum of twenty (20) CRS scholarships will be awarded annually in amounts up to $5,000 per recipient.
In addition to the criteria listed below, applicants for the ORES or CRS must demonstrate financial need. Enrollment at DSU is a pre-condition of receiving an award. Eligible applicants will meet the following requirements for the reentry scholarships:
- Is a full-time or part-time nontraditional student.
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Has experienced an interruption or gap in education of at least five years.
- Is entering DSU or continuing at the undergraduate level. **
- Is pursuing first baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree.
- Demonstrates academic promise.
- Exhibits a commitment to complete a degree program.
- Expects to be employed for a substantial period after graduation.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee an award.
- Receiving an award is contingent upon applicant’s admission to the University at time award is made.
- Students enrolled exclusively in online courses are not eligible for the reentry scholarships.
- DSU employees are not eligible for the Osher Reentry Endowed or the Crankstart Reentry Scholarship.
* Nontraditional typically defines a student, minimum age 25, who is beginning or resuming his/her college education.
** Preference will be given to newly enrolled nontraditional students for the Crankstart Reentry Scholarship.