How soon can I register with Student Accessibility Services (SAS)?

For incoming DSU students:  You can register with SAS as soon as you have been offered admission to Delaware State University and have officially accepted the University’s offer to attend.  As soon as this happens, you are encouraged to provide appropriate documentation along with your completed Student Request for Accommodations Form to SAS and schedule an appointment with the Coordinator.

For current DSU students:  You can register with SAS as long as you are enrolled in classes or are returning to classes and have already signed up for an upcoming semester. As soon as this happens, you are encouraged to provide appropriate documentation along with your completed Student Request for Accommodations Form to SAS and schedule an appointment with the Coordinator.

Do the accommodations I received in high school (IEP or 504 Plan) automatically apply at Delaware State University?

Once a student with a disability is in college they are covered under the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA) as opposed to the IDEA.  In addition, the learning environment is different at every college or university.  For these reasons, any accommodations listed on a student’s IEP or 504 Plan do not automatically carry over to Higher Education.  However, under the ADA, students absolutely have the right to submit appropriate medical documentation and request reasonable accommodations from SAS while attending DSU.

I never had accommodations in high school; does that mean I cannot get them in college?

Not at all!  Any student with a documented disability who feels they would benefit from reasonable accommodations is encouraged to register with SAS.  Not having accommodations in elementary, middle, or high school will not prevent a qualified person from receiving accommodations here at DSU.

How do my professors find out about my accommodations?

Any student at DSU who is approved for reasonable accommodations will be given an Accommodation Letter.  The letter does not contain any private or confidential information; instead, it simply lists the student’s name and the specific accommodations they qualify for.   It is the student’s responsibility to provide a copy of this letter to each of their professors and anyone else who will be providing an approved accommodation.  When providing the letter, the student to explain which accommodations they plan to use in the class.  The letters are renewed each semester to ensure that students receive the most appropriate accommodations.

When should I contact SAS?

Anytime!  Students should contact SAS to:

  • Request accommodations
  • Ask questions about how to use their accommodations
  • Renew Accommodation Letters
  • Notify the office if they feel an accommodation is not being provided appropriately
  • Identify a barrier they feel is preventing them from equal access
  • Ask questions about additional resources they may benefit from
  • Or to just say “hi!”

Does SAS provide testing for Learning Disabilities and/or ADHD?

SAS has the role of reviewing medical documentation and determining reasonable accommodations.  Therefore, SAS does not provide disability testing.  Students interested in being tested for a Learning Disability or ADD/ADHD are encouraged to contact a local mental health provider to schedule an assessment.  A courtesy, non-exhaustive list of local providers is available upon request from SAS.  Students are also encouraged to contact their insurance company to inquire about coverage for LD/ADHD assessment.

Is there tutoring and/or counseling at Delaware State University?

Yes!  DSU offers several exceptional resources for tutoring and counseling that are all FREE OF CHARGE for all students – no accommodation required.  The Quantitative Reasoning Center (QRC) offers math tutoring for all students.  The Tutorial Center offers individual and group tutoring in a variety of subjects for all students. The Writing Studio offers writing and editing support for all undergraduate and graduate students.  There are also Supplemental Instruction sessions offered for courses that are historically more challenging.  In addition, DSU has a Counseling Center that offers one-on-one and group counseling to all full-time DSU students.

I have SAS accommodations but things have changed and I think I may benefit from new or different accommodations – can I still request them?

Absolutely!  Any student who already has accommodations is always welcome to schedule an appointment with SAS to discuss any changes to their condition or other factors that are currently impacting them.

I forgot to turn my Accommodation Letter in to my professor, if I turn it in now will my accommodations effect work from the beginning of the semester?

Accommodations are only in effect from the moment you provide your Accommodation Letter to your Professor or Administrator, they do not work retroactively.  If you have forgotten to turn in your Accommodation Letter you are encouraged to turn it in as soon as possible so that you can begin using your accommodations from that moment forward.

I don’t think my accommodations are being provided appropriately, what should I do?

If a student believes that a specific accommodation, listed on their Accommodation Letter as approved by Student Accessibility Services (SAS), has not been provided appropriately, the following process should be followed:

  1. The student should notify the Coordinator of SAS immediately and request an appointment.
  2. SAS will investigate the student’s concerns.
  3. SAS will report back to the student with their findings within a reasonable amount of time.

The Coordinator of SAS can be reached via email at aksmith [at], by phone at 302.857.6898, or in the SAS Office located in the Library, Room 204.

If the student disagrees with the findings of the Coordinator of SAS they should raise the issue with the Assistant Vice President of University College and provide any additional information they feel is relevant. The Assistant Vice President will then perform a separate investigation and report back to the student within a reasonable amount of time.