Advisement & Registration FAQs
- How can I contact my advisor?
See attached advisor directory and locate your advisor’s email contact. Additionally, log into MyDESU and review your Degreeworks audit, under student view, and you will find your advisor information is listed there.
- I know my athletic academic advisor, but who is my PRIMARY ADVISOR?
Please reference the advisor directory attached and/or review your Degreeworks audit, under student view, and you find your advisor information listed there.
- How do I make an appointment with my advisor?
Log on https://bnrhvprod-ssb.desu.edu/dsu/kiosk/homepage_selector.htm and click the schedule an advising or tutoring appointment tab on the upper right hand.
- How will my advisement and registration be completed?
Advisement session and registration will be completed online.
- How do I get registered for the Fall 2020 if I did not finish the process?
If you did not complete registration, you should do that as soon as possible. Please check your email for the completed course request form, review and sign and return via email to your advisor to confirm /approve your Fall course selection. He/she will register you for classes.
- What should I do if I don’t have my books and course materials/computer with me? (example – still in the dorm)
You should contact your instructor via blackboard or email to inform the instructor and copy your primary advisor that you do not have access to your course materials from your current location.
- What if I do not have consistent internet service at home?
You should contact your instructor via blackboard or email to inform the instructor and copy your primary advisor, that you do not have access to reliable internet service. You may need to access resources within your local community, if possible.
- How does it work to take a class online?
hat will I need to do?You may access your course through Blackboard. Instructors will upload the information that you will need to continue with your course. It is recommended that you set a consistent schedule to complete your course work for each class. Ms. Tiffany Alexander( talexander [at] desu.edu), academic Program Coordinator will offer programming to assist with developing a plan to stay on task.
- Who should I contact if I had accommodation for my classes that are now offered on line?
Notify your faculty/Instructor and Ms. Ann Knettler, Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services @ aksmith [at] desu.edu or call Ms. Knettler during normal business hours (M-F, 8:30am – 4:30pm) at 302.857.6898.
- Who can I contact if I need help?
Questions related to your course should be directed to your instructor. For banner self-service, Blackboard or other technology problems support telephone assistance is available during business hours, call 302-857-7122 and 302-857-7028 or contact them by email at blackboard [at] desu.edu. For after-hours Blackboard Support you can access this service 24/7 by calling (toll free) 844-570-6766 or online by clicking on http://desu.edusupportcenter.com/ or pasting directly into your browser.
- What should I do if I want to withdraw from a class?
If you want to withdraw from a class before on-campus courses resume, you should contact your advisor and instructor to discuss if you should withdraw from the class. If you elect to withdraw, your advisor will send you an electronic form to withdraw from the course. Once on-campus courses resume, you can initiate a class withdrawal with your advisor. The deadline to withdraw from courses is April 8th.
- Who do I speak to if I cannot return to my home?
Or I don’t have a permanent residence? The Office of Student Affairs is developing protocols to deal with all situations involving critical questions of housing in special cases. However, a list of student names has been compiled (i.e. athletes, international, foster care etc.…) of whom may require/need special accommodation during this time. If you fall in any of these categories, notify your Resident Director or the Housing Office housing [at] desu.edu for assistance.
- What are some important tips I need to know about online courses for academic success?
- Communicate with your professors.
- Your commitment to your academic success is important: enjoy the experience of virtual learning. Check Blackboard DAILY!
- Planning is key; sign into Blackboard the same time you would be attending face to face lessons to complete assignments.
- Take advantage of our online tutoring service
- Where can I find the contact information for my instructor?
- Go to my.desu.edu
- Click on the link in the top corner that says directory
- Type in the name of your professor in the search box.
- The name of your professor should pop up in the search results.
- You can also search on your blackboard page. Your professor’s contact information should be posted
- Finally, you can check with the department of the class you are taking. For example, you can check with the Biology department if it is biology class. This information is located on the DSU website under the appropriate college.
- What if I need to contact the Financial Aid Office?
Call the Financial aid office during normal business hours (M-F, 8:30-4:30pm) at 302.857.6250. or email faid [at] desu.edu
- What if I need to contact Office of Student Accounts?
Call the Office of Student Accounts during normal business hours (M-F, 8:30-4:30pm) at 302.857.6240 or email studentaccounts [at] desu.edu
- What if I need to contact the Records & Registration office?
Call the office of Records & Registration during normal business hours (M-F, 8:30-4:30pm) at 302.857.6375 or email registrar [at] desu.edu
- What if I need to contact someone at the University and don’t know their department?
Call the following Campus Contacts. Daytime: 302.857.6060 or Evening: 302.857.6290