Guide to Residential Living

You will receive your housing application in the mail with your acceptance letter/package.  All first-year students are required to live in residence halls, except those who live with their parents or spouse.  The Department of Housing and Residential Education will consider exceptions to this upon receipt of a written request.

Housing assignments for first-year students are made at random.  Reciprocal roommate requests and requests for non-smoking roommates are honored whenever possible. Once you have completed and mailed us your application along with your non-refundable $200 room deposit, we will assign you a room and a roommate.  If you already have friends, be sure to talk about what items each of you are bringing so you can make best use of the space in your room.

We discourage students from pre-selecting a roommate for several reasons:

  • Students who were friends before college most likely have never LIVED together.  Living with a roommate is a very
      different relationship than that of a friend or acquaintance.  Often pre-selecting a roommate results in unrealistic
      expectations of each other.
  • Students who are friends are able to widen their circle of friends by living in different rooms and residence halls.
  • One of the greatest opportunities for a new college student is to learn how to live and build mutual respect with
      someone who is different from them.

First-year students who wish to live together may make a request either on the housing contract or by contacting the Department of Housing and Residential Education at (302) 857-6326 by May 1 before the beginning of the academic year.  We make every attempt to pair mutual roommate requests.  The two students who request each other must also request the same options on the housing contract (living community, smoking, etc.).

Please visit the Roommate Success Guide link for information regarding successful roommate living.

Roommate Bill of Rights

The following Roommate Bill of Rights, adapted from Kent State University, is a reminder to each resident that your enjoyment of life in a residence hall will depend, to a large extent, on the thoughtful consideration you demonstrate to your roommate.

Basic rights of a roommate include:

  1. The right to read and study free from undue interference in one's room. Unreasonable noise and other distractions inhibit the exercise of this right.
  2. The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests of roommate(s), etc.
  3. The right to expect that a roommate will respect one's personal belongings.
  4. The right to a clean environment.
  5. The right to free access to one's room and facilities without pressure from the roommate.
  6. The right to privacy.
  7. The right to address grievances. Your RA or CA and hall adviser are available for assistance.
  8. The right to be free from fear of intimidation and physical or emotional harm.
  9. The right to expect reasonable cooperation and the use of "room shared" appliances (telephone, refrigerator, etc.).

Roommate Conflict Resolution

Most roommates can work out mutually agreeable relationships with their roommates. When roommates have conflicts, the Department of Residence Life staff can help resolve the conflict through mediation or room-change requests.  When students are unable to amicably resolve conflicts on their own, the residence life staff may assert more control over finding a resolution. The staff may require the roommates to participate in a conflict resolution meeting, or staff may make a determination without the input of the residents as to how to resolve the conflict.  As stated in the housing contract, the University may relocate any student to another room to resolve a conflict.

Room Changes

Students may request to change room; however room changes should not be the first option when there is a roommate conflict.  We want students to take advantage of the learning opportunity inherent in working out a conflict with another person.  We want students to learn how to directly confront problems rather than simply avoiding them, (i.e. moving).  We want to resolve issues as soon as we can.  Room changes may be permitted only under unusual circumstances, with the approval of the Building Manager and the Department of Residential Life and Housing.


The Department of and Residential Education staff is responsible for providing and maintaining the physical state of each housing facility and maintaining high standards of health and safety for the comfort of students.

Residence Hall Rooms

Rooms are furnished with beds, chests of drawers, desks, chairs, study lamps, mirrors, wastebaskets, curtain rods, window shades, and a telephone.  Students are responsible for bringing your own blankets, bedspreads, linens, pillows, drapes, rugs, and towels. You may want to consult with your roommate to avoid duplicating some items for your room.  Room dimensions and window sizes vary with each building.

Room Condition Report
When you move into your room, you must complete a room condition report.   From this report, hall staff can identify problems and make needed repairs; you also avoid charges for damage done by previous occupants. You will be charged for any damages found in your room that are not noted on your room condition report.

Temporary Housing
At times there are more students desiring housing than the University can accommodate, and each semester some students withdraw shortly after the semester begins.  Because of these situations, some students are placed in temporary housing until permanent assignments can be made.  Those assigned to temporary spaces are notified in writing that their assignments are temporary, and they will be moved to permanent assignments as soon as possible. This policy allows the University to accommodate more students, making the best use of facilities and keeping room and meal plan rates low.

Telephones and Voice Mail

A modular telephone and voicemail is available for each room, apartment or suite. You will be responsible for the University equipment if not properly replaced at the end of the year.  Campus and local calls may be made without a charge. Long-distance calls can only be made through students personal calling card or cell phone, including directory assistance. Calling cards can be purchased in the book store.

You may not accept collect calls (including emergency calls). Voice mail is a personal message center, offered on a subscription basis to all residents. Upon move-in, simply activate this service by following the directions provided in the room.  If you do not want this service, you must visit the Office of Telecommunications to cancel your subscription.

For more information, contact:
Office of Telecommunications
131 Grosseley Hall, (302) 857-7009

Computer Network

The Department of Residence Services provides every student living in the residence halls the opportunity to use the residential network.  Computer access is available in each student room, through Ethernet connections.  This allows fast connection time and access to the University network and the internet.  Every residence hall is equipped with wireless connections. Computer labs are available in several academic building centers across campus.
Minimum Computer Requirements for the Delaware State University network (pdf)


All Students are required to activate their DSU email account.  All University communication with student will be through the University telephone/voicemail and email services.  Students are responsible for all information provided to them through these media. These services are provided as part of the technology fees.

Cable service is in all rooms through the DSUnet connection.  For a listing of channels and programs offered visit the TV Guide channel 22.

Students are not responsible for the exterior of their room door, considered public space in the housing facility.  All public spaces in the hall are under the jurisdiction and care of the Hall Director.  Charges will be assessed for damages to public space and furniture.  Charges will be assessed and vary depending on the nature of the damage.  Although the University respects the right of expression, some signs or drawings in public areas, including room doors, can be found offensive.  In such instances, the Hall Director will determine if the signs or drawings should be removed.  If so, the residents will be asked to remove the material.

Use of Public Space

Cleaning and Repairs

You are responsible for cleaning your own room. Mops, brooms, and other cleaning equipment are available in each facility.  The Department of Housing and Residential Education, and the Department of Physical Facilities maintain the facilities.  To request a repair, go to the hall staff and make a repair request. Only University personnel may make repairs.


We suggest decorating your walls using molding hooks ("S" hooks) and twine, available at local stores. Plasti-tac may be used with the understanding that damage to the walls may result.  Tape, adhesives other than plasti-tac, tacks, nails, screws, or pins may be used only on bulletin boards and not on the walls, ceiling, floors, window trim, furnishings, or doors.  Room decorations may not be affixed to or suspended from the ceiling or light fixtures. Students are responsible for any damage.

Room Alterations

Students are not permitted to paint or plaster their rooms.  Storage cabinets and closet doors may not be removed or altered from their original design.  Construction or room alteration involving heavy building materials, wooden or cloth material platforms, or lofts (see below) is prohibited due to fire and safety regulations.  Screens must be left latched on windows to reduce the likelihood of damage from wind or falling screens. Window ledges are not to be used for storage. Removing University property from student rooms or public areas of the facility is prohibited.


Mattresses and bedsprings may not be placed directly on the floor. Due to safety concerns, the construction or use of loft beds, waterbeds or any other alterations of university beds by students are not permitted.  Students may not turn the bed frame upside down as this may damage the frame.  Students may not put their bed on cinder blocks if they wish to increase the amount of under-bed storage space.  In some cases the University may install bed lofts in rooms, as it deems necessary.