Becoming an International Visiting Scholar (J-1)
The College of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Technology (CMNST) welcomes the participation of graduate students of multiple ethnicities in our research programs. Such collaboration fosters the cross-pollination of innovative ideas that helps enrich the overall academic culture within the College and on the DSU campus. This page outlines the process for participating as a graduate exchange student within the College.
Requesting to be an exchange visiting scholar (J-1)
Students wishing to be a visiting or exchange student at Delaware State University under the auspices of a Principal Investigator (PI) within the CMNST should adhere to the following procedure:
Submit a letter of request to the PI of the laboratory you intend to work with, including the following information -
proposed duration, start and end date
if sponsored through an external fellowship, provide proposed funding source for subsistence and incidentals (stipend, housing, meals, travel expenses, insurance)
proposed funding source of international processing (visa, DS-2019)
- Submit a copy of current curriculum vita.
- Submit a copy of valid I-94 (which should be in the passport).
Submit a copy of insurance information.
**Upon arrival on campus, the exchange visitor is to immediately report to the OIA, and will be asked to provide a copy of the following documents:
- a copy of the stamped DS-2019 form
- a copy of the visa
- a copy of the I-94 card (in the passport)
- Insurance information
Hosting an exchange visiting scholar
Requestors of exchange visitors must provide the following documents to the OIA as soon as possible:
- Letter of request to host exchange visitor, including duration, start and end dates, source of funding and department number from which expenses will be paid.
- Secure approval of Chairperson of the hosting department (can sign original request form requestor).
- Secure approval of the Dean of College (can sign original request from requestor), before sending packet of original request to Provost for approval.
- Forward a copy of letter of request, copy of passport, and copy of curriculum vita to the OIA.