Writing grants within the College
Research is an important part of the lifeline of the CMNST. As with every organization, department or entity, the College has a common set of processes that it uses to get things done. Here are just a few friendly reminders on how to most-efficiently get things done within the College of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Technology.
- Send first notification to the CMNST Dean & Department Chair of intent to prepare grant, and whether institutional support is desired.
- Complete on-line notification regarding intention to submit grant at Office of Sponsored Programs. The web form is found at:
- If applicable, secure persons to write support letters (i.e., Dept Chairperson, Dean, Provost, President, Collaborators, external stakeholders, anyone who must deliver on a commitment for the project to succeed). Make sure to provide project information and/or draft letters to support letter-writers. Include a due date for letter receipt.
- Follow up on support-letters.
- Submit proposed budget for review to Chairperson, Dean, and OSP. (Note: Any requests for commitment of release time, space, or other resources requires prior coordination with Dean at the start of budget development.)
- Finalize budget—agreed upon by PI, OSP, Chairperson, and Dean.
- Submit final drafts of proposal, budget, & internal processing form to Dean’s Office for Dean’s signature and forward to the Office of Sponsored Programs 7-10 business days prior to agency deadline.
Also refer regularly to the Office of Sponsored Programs page links for specifics on institutional grant-writing protocols and important forms to be used pre-, post-grant award: /research/policies-and-procedures 
Frequently used funding agency links:
Have additional questions? Contact Vanessa Nesbit at ext. 6502.
(c) Copyright 2010 DSU CMNST Dover, Delaware 19901