Advising FAQs

  1. Is my Academic Advisor the same as my High School Guidance Counselor?
    Academic Advisors are very different from High School Guidance Counselors for the following reasons:
    • Academic Advisors are here to guide you toward four-year degree completion by helping you develop, find resources and most importantly understand course requirements. 
    • Academic Advisors provide insight about academic, social and personal matters in order to inform, coach, counsel, mentor or teach college students.
      “Excerpted with permission from NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising” 
    • Academic Advisors are not permitted to speak to parents about grades unless written consent is provided in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  You have to give Delaware State University written consent before an Advisor can speak with your parents about grades. Please note that there are some exceptions under extenuating circumstances.
  2. When should I see my Academic Advisor?
    You are required to see your Academic Advisor at least three times each semester for your IDP Session I, IDP Session II and Registration. However, you are always welcomed to see your Academic Advisor at any time.
  3. How can I schedule make an appointment with my Academic Advisor?
    Academic Advisors are available from Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
    Academic advisors have extended hours until 6:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday.

    Please use the link below to make an appointment with your Academic Advisor.

  4. What is the Individual Development Plan (IDP)?
    The Individual Development Plan or IDP, is a proactive advising tool used to provide a holistic view of students.  Students are required to meet with their Academic Advisor for two IDP meetings each semester.

    The first IDP meeting happens at the beginning of the semester and sets the foundation for success by discussing each student’s purpose, goals and campus involvement plans.

    The second IDP meeting occurs after midterms and helps students refocus by revisiting their goals and creating a course plan for the next semester.

  5. When can I schedule classes for next semester?
    Students must meet with an Advisor to discuss their course curriculum in detail during the Academic Advisement period which happens every March and October.

    Students can schedule classes during the Pre-Registration period which happens every April and November.

    First-year students are required to see their Advisor during the Academic Advisement period before they are allowed to participate in Pre-Registration. 

    Please view the university’s fall and spring Academic Calendars for specific dates.

  6. How do I change my major?
    Before changing your major, you must see an Academic Advisor to discuss your new course options.  Additionally, you will have to complete a Change of Major form, obtain signatures and submit the form to the Office of Records & Registration.
  7. What is a prerequisite course?
    A prerequisite course must be completed before you are eligible to take the next level course.  For example, English Composition I (ENGL 101) is a prerequisite for English Composition II (ENGL 102). In other words, you must complete ENGL 101 before you can register for ENGL 102.
  8. How many credits do I have to take per semester?
    We strongly recommend that you take at least 15 credits per semester in order to graduate in four years.  Our 15 Strong to Completion campaign explains this concept in more detail.
  9. What is Academic Probation?
     Academic Probation means that a student earned below a 1.70 grade point average and will have penalties the following semester.  While on Academic Probation students are prohibited from holding an elected campus position and representing the University in any capacity.  Students on Academic Probation will be allowed to take only 13 credits.  If a student does not earn at least a 2.0 grade point average the next semester they will be academically suspended from the university. For more details please view the undergraduate catalog
  10. What is a “hold”?
    A hold indicates that there is something you must do (such as pay a bill) in order to regain full access to your MyDesu account. You will not be able to register for classes until the hold is removed from your account.  There are many types of holds (e.g., unpaid bills, judicial hold, incomplete medical records). If you have a hold, use the MyDesu portal to find out more information.
  11. I have a documented disability and need accommodations for my classes. Who do I contact?
    You can request services and submit your most recent documentation of your disability to the Office of Student Accessibility Services.  You may schedule an appointment by calling 302.857.6898.